• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Frisco CO Trip September

dogmoon

Well we are all set for a vacation based out of Frisco Colorado for a week in September we can't wait any suggestions on roads to ride, places to eat,places to stop, or anything of interest would be great! We will be two up on our 1200 GS Adventure and will be in no hurry to go anywhere! Any advice would be appreciated! We are hoping for Fall colors also! We have done southwest Colorado many times but never this area, thanks!:dance

If around Granby the Brickhouse 40 is a great , though a bit upscale place to eat.

Look at the small roads, several run E-W on the eastern slope between Denver and fort Collins.

Also some nice small roads S and W of Steamboat, that get you off 40.

And as advised, get Steve Farsons book, and buy a Butler map both excellent resources. Lots off small great rides like Guanella that keep you out of traffic and offer great riding and views.

I just posted this on another thread in this same forum...
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php
that's good for off-raod stuff.
for paved routes, buy Steve Farson's book on riding Colorado. There is none better. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=steve farson, colorado
From Frisco, you're not far from Guanella Pass, Independence Pass, McClure Pass (133), and the exquisite Black Canyon of the Gunnison (92).

Have fun!

Second that!!!!

Guanella is great. Don't miss the Black Canyon if you have never been there.

A great place to stop and visit is the Grand Lake Lodge, located at the west entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. They have a buffet breakfast that is fantastic and the view looking out to Grand Lake is very nice.

The lodge was closed for a few years, has undergone a restoration/remodel and is open again.

bob

Grand lake lodge

Thanks Bob we will try that place I have heard of it! Our vacation is only a month away we cant wait!:)

Rocky mountain national park and Rt 27 to Rt14 (north of Estes Park) should be on your list.

National Park

The Rocky Mountain National Park is on our list also planning on looping up 70 north from Frisco to Estes Park via 119 72 7 to 34 over the park into Granby then head back down south back to Frisco Im sure we can make this in one day a little over 200 miles but thats alot with it being mountain roads!

119/72/7 is Peak to Peak Hiway, national scenic byway. Observe the speed limits in/near Rollinsville. Be within biting distance of the speed limit for most of the rest, unless you have good radar detection. A great option is taking 7 down into Lyons (S. St. Vrain Canyon, a real gem), and then 36 up to Estes.

You can't get to 14 (Cache la Poudre.. or just "the Pooder") via 27. You can get there via 125- which is Willow Creek Pass, a very pretty ride on a very nice road (well, except for the last ~25 miles into Walden).

Plan on 1.5 hours minimum just to get over Trail Ridge Rd. (US 34 thru RMNP). Double that if you plan to stop and check things out a wee bit, or if you do it on a weekend. Triple it if you plan to do any hiking while in the park.

The Rocky Mountain National Park is on our list also planning on looping up 70 north from Frisco to Estes Park via 119 72 7 to 34 over the park into Granby then head back down south back to Frisco Im sure we can make this in one day a little over 200 miles but thats alot with it being mountain roads!

Plan on this being a full day!! Trail Ridge Road (US 34) through RMNP is notoriusly s-l-o-w! The potential for a great deal of traffic is high. If anything do it on a weekday. It would be worth it though, as RMNP is spectacular!

I work in Vail, CO (25 min or so west of Frisco), and ride these roads regularly. A fun ride would be CO 9 north from Silverthorne to Kremmling, west on US 40 over Rabbit Ears Pass to Steamboat Springs. Then south on CO 131 to I-70 at Wolcott and 70 back to Frisco. Also, US 24 south from I-70 at Minturn will take you over Battle Mountain Pass and the Continental Divide at Tennessee Pass to Leadville. For a return trip, CO 9 from Leadville to I-70 (Copper Mountain) and then back to Frisco.

Another day could be spent doing the Glenwood Springs-Aspen-Leadville loop that would take you over Independence Pass. I-70 west to Glenwood Springs, CO 82 south through Glenwood (See Doc Holliday's grave!!) to Aspen and then over Indy Pass into Twin Lakes. From there you have options depending on time. If time is not a concern, go east on US 24 to Buena Vista, then east on US 24 from Buena Vista to the junction with US 24/US 285. North on US 285 to Fairplay, then north on CO 9 to Breckenridge and back to Frisco.

Options are only limited by time and imagination. September will be a spectacular time to ride the mountains of central Colorado. If you want some company, shoot me a PM. I'll ride with ya!

Edit: I live in the area, so I can make all sorts of recommendations of places to eat, from dives to 5-star cuisine in Vail... I'm happy to share as much as you'd like. ::thumb

Have fun!
- Randy

Well, the Butler map for Colorado is an essential.
Last year I took 119/72/7 to Estes Park, then in the rain all thru' RMNP. At the same time in September.
In fact, I will be back that way at about that time again this year.
I returned from RMNP back down to Georgetown down 36 and 40. It was a nice snowy ride, rain and snow, and nice and cool, for a one day ride.
Then south to Durango the next day.
dc

Frisco Trip

Thanks Randy and David I will keep your information in mind, one friend told me about a route that sounded interesting that route was leaving Frisco in the morning taking 91 to 24 south to Buena Vista then getting on Cottonwood pass to Taylor Reservoir then 742 he also said there was a little store there that everybody stops and has lunch at following that to 135 south to Ohio Creek Road up Kebler Pass back to Crested Butte where we would spend the night the trip back to Frisco the following day is still in the planning stages:eat

Thanks Randy and David I will keep your information in mind, one friend told me about a route that sounded interesting that route was leaving Frisco in the morning taking 91 to 24 south to Buena Vista then getting on Cottonwood pass to Taylor Reservoir then 742 he also said there was a little store there that everybody stops and has lunch at following that to 135 south to Ohio Creek Road up Kebler Pass back to Crested Butte where we would spend the night the trip back to Frisco the following day is still in the planning stages:eat

Cottonwood is a nice route. Paved on the east approach , still hard pack dirt on the west descent, with some damn fine views of the Presidential Range .
Running along the Taylor River is really sweet. Crusty Butt is a real cool Colorado mntn town, nice place to grab some grub and just chill a bit. Kebler is an easy dirt pass to ride, with what is purported to be the largest stand of Aspen in the world . The western end of it the gravel gets a bit thick, but not unreasonable . It can, however, be a bit tough to find the road out of CB to get to it... it's not marked, nor is it obvious. If you do the run from the south up over Ohio, you will miss the majority of Kebler, but also the confusion of trying to locate it from CB.

Back