• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is there a FIX for Oil Head surging? 95' R1100R

That bugs me, a LOT:
Won't those holes permit unfiltered air directly into the intake tract?
(Maybe the engineers depend on the sheltered location.)
One of mine is covered by the mounting for my fuel filter, the other is still open.
Maybe they're for the air temperature sensor? or What???

On my R1150RT those are sealed indentations and not open to the intake manifold ... at least that's my recollection. Looks like a place to insert a screw for another option.

Interesting. Yet another tiny detail that is different on the 1100 and the 1150. See that nail in the hole there? It is 1.5 inches long and only half of that is sticking out from the hole (s) in my airbox. I did not make them. It came that way. I wonder why the 1100 has them and the 1150 does not?

1100RT airbox top.jpg

????? My 1150 has them. I'm the one that asked about them. Yes they are dead ended holes that do not go into the airbox.

I think the confusion may be arising from a question in another thread where Pauls1150 asked Roger to take a look at post 59 and 60 in this thread. Roger responded. I responded. Anyway, it seems the holes or indentations are dead ended. In both models. :)

Exactly correct; I asked in two places, and was answered.
Just for my own mental peace, I had to go check mine -
The holes are there but don't go through.
I don't recall if my 1150RS had them, and I sure as [heck] don't recall if my 1100 had them.
Very strange nonetheless.
I don't recall any option that might fit there.
Paul S

Interesting. Yet another tiny detail that is different on the 1100 and the 1150. See that nail in the hole there? It is 1.5 inches long and only half of that is sticking out from the hole (s) in my airbox. I did not make them. It came that way. I wonder why the 1100 has them and the 1150 does not?

My 49 state, 1995 R1100R does NOT have any holes in the lid. (or nails)

I have owned my bike since new.
I have taken it to 5 dealers.
I even took it all the way down to Silicon Valley. (I live in the Pacific N.W.)
Nobody can seem to get the 'SURGING' out of the fuel management system.

Coming off the hi-way(75mph) down to 35mph in 5th gear the engine' hunts', surges.
Hold it at 35mph and it surges.
It surges at 35mph. When I open the throttle it goes away.

Is there a fix for the oil head surge?
A cure?
I rarely look at the Oilheads Forum so I'm pretty late to lunch. However, my very first question - that no one has asked - is why in the world are you lugging the engine down to 35 mph in 5th? Keep the engine/vehicle speed matched within the power band and unless there is a fairly significant problem with the engine [aka, porous heads for example] the bike should not surge.

Here's a link to some guidelines that may help.
http://www.nmpcs.com/r11r/

Air box holes

They are dead end holes for screws that hold the Clamp for the Diagnostic plug on the 1150's
The dead end is to stop any water from running into the air box.

I rarely look at the Oilheads Forum so I'm pretty late to lunch. However, my very first question - that no one has asked - is why in the world are you lugging the engine down to 35 mph in 5th? Keep the engine/vehicle speed matched within the power band and unless there is a fairly significant problem with the engine [aka, porous heads for example] the bike should not surge.

Your right. It should not surge. However, BMW knows of the problem with the 94-96 R1100's.
I'm not riding around in 5th gear at 35 mph.
It surges (or did) coming from 70-75mph down to 35 and the surging would start in ANY gear.
It's a problem with Motronic's of that vintage.

The FIX for my 48 state R1100R is posted.

"Should not surge" indeed. Surging has nothing to do with the power band and everything to do with closed loop fueling issues and cylinder to cylinder imbalance. These coupled with EPA laws that demand very lean fuel mixtures on big twins and you have surging issues galore. And it's not just

If you look at Snowbum's final solution to the surging on the 1100R in question he removed the O2 sensor and anything else to do with pollution control. Once you pull the cat code plug you have an ECU that is ignoring the O2 sensor anyway. The bike will then run with richer mixtures in open loop so of course it stops surging assuming everything else is in a good state of tune.

As for running the engine in low RPMs it's actually no problem whatsoever once you've enrichened the mixture by 4% to 6%. Then it will pull like a train at any RPM. Like a big twin should.

Approximately 1300 miles ago, I replaced the pink coding plug with a jumper between #30 and #87a as shown in post #16 of this thread. My 1998 R1100R runs much better since then - very good acceleration and no surging - much more fun to ride. The gas mileage improved from 45.87 to 46.59 . Like someone stated before, this was the cheapest and most effective modification I made to the bike so far.

As for running the engine in low RPMs it's actually no problem whatsoever once you've enrichened the mixture by 4% to 6%. Then it will pull like a train at any RPM. Like a big twin should.

regardless of fueling concerns and adjustments, 35 mph in top gear would be lugging your motor, and that is not good for it. Can you get away with it? Probably. But why would you want to?

Back