• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

oil consumption 1998 k1200rs

liska444

Well I just returned from Salem (another good time ) and I'm looking for input. I have a 1998 k1200rs (purchased new ) with 95,000 miles. It used about 3/4 of a quart after a 1000 mile day of running hard. I have not taken a compression test yet ( that's why god created winters in Minnesota ) but was thinking of replacing the rings and valve seals. Parts are not cheap and I hate to get into it to the point of no return, I should mention that I use regular petroleum oil, tried synthetic which led to other problems. Has anyone done this and was it successful ? Not sure if I should entertain this idea or start looking for a new ride. Looking forward to hearing your comment and opinion.
Dale

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice is to leave it be. Sounds like it's running well. Adding some oil once in a while, is way easier and cheaper than pouring [ so to speak ] time and $$$ into something that you will never get your money out of.
Nick Kennedy
30 year aircraft mechanic

even with new engines, most manufacturers wouldn't even consider that amount as a warranty issue. Definitely not worth worrying about.

Dale,

Per: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46057 - I'm adding year/model to your thread title. Please do this yourself in future posts. And I'd agree - it's a case of Leave Well Enough Alone (LWEA - used to have this in huge letters on my lab wall in Bell Labs..) If it was using a quart in 500 miles I'd be concerned. 3/4 quart in 1,000 "hard" day - not enough to worry about. While you mentioned you're using regular oil, you didn't mention what type/viscosity. If it's something like a 10W-30, this use wouldn't surprise me at all.

BTW - also useful info - has this just started? Since you've owned it from new, how was consumption over your term of ownership?

Thanks to everyone for the response to my post. Since bike was new I've used 20w50 racing oil....did try synthetic but had some "seepage" issues as was advised to go back to petroleum base oil. Even when new, the bike would use about 5-6 ounces in one thousand miles...doesn't sound like much but this was my first BMW, had many Jap bikes, all brands and they never took oil. We owned a Kawasaki dealership for 12 years and we seen very few oil burners. My beemer friends told me " you have to feed the ponies " but I'd rather put it in the fuel tank. Again thanks to all that responded and hoping to hear more.
Thanks,
Dale

P.S. don't tell my wife it's not real serious -- could be time to start the search for new bike -- now what to look for is another question!!

Last edited:
98 k1200rs

Well I just returned from Salem (another good time ) and I'm looking for input. I have a 1998 k1200rs (purchased new ) with 95,000 miles. It used about 3/4 of a quart after a 1000 mile day of running hard. I have not taken a compression test yet ( that's why god created winters in Minnesota ) but was thinking of replacing the rings and valve seals. Parts are not cheap and I hate to get into it to the point of no return, I should mention that I use regular petroleum oil, tried synthetic which led to other problems. Has anyone done this and was it successful ? Not sure if I should entertain this idea or start looking for a new ride. Looking forward to hearing your comment and opinion.
Dale

I bought mine in 2013 with 28K miles on the clock...mine needs a top up every 300 to 500 miles and uses a quart total about every 6K miles... in conclusion 1 quart between each oil change...at first I was pissed bc this is the first bike I have owned in 50 years riding that uses oil btwn oil changes....I thought it was from being parked on side stand so I made sure to always park it on center stand...made no diff. in consumption...now have 60K miles and the oil consumption has been consistent for 32K miles...my feeling is that if you like the bike, you'll keep doing whatever is necessary but if you don't maintenance and repairs will make you crazy...I happen to like mine, unfortunately for my wallet...BMW=bring more money...lol

I bought mine in 2013 with 28K miles on the clock...mine needs a top up every 300 to 500 miles and uses a quart total about every 6K miles... in conclusion 1 quart between each oil change...

I would not bother adding oil a couple ounces at a time and wait until the oil level is near the bottom of the window before adding.

I'd try a few different brands/grades of oil. Some are more inclined to evaporative burn-off than are others.
But of course I'm dismissive of the avoidance of synth oil for fear of leakage. IMO, it's an old urban legend related only to the very first gen synth oils decades ago.

Back