• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New member - '03 K1200LT Headlight / Satellite Help

JD Hilton

I am new to BMW MOA. I wonder if anyone can tell me what the red light below the headlight adjustment on my recently purchased 2003 K1200LT? My previous ride was a 1985 K100RT that Mother Nature decided to smash.

Last edited:
New Member, Navigation question

Could anyone help me figure out why my navigation can't find satellites? I did a reset and it kept saying it was searching for satellites.

Attachments

• IMG_20130713_101901_144.jpg
    IMG_20130713_101901_144.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 61
Welcome to the MOA and the forums!

A photo of the red light may help answer that question, and perhaps the model of your GPS might help answer that one.

The red light is for your alarm system. When you shut the bike off the number of times it flashes is the number of remotes the bike is setup for.

photo of gps

Gps is garmin street pilot color map
OTE=deilenberger;890043]Welcome to the MOA and the forums!

A photo of the red light may help answer that question, and perhaps the model of your GPS might help answer that one.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IMG_20130713_101912_342.jpg
    IMG_20130713_101912_342.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 56
Being the owner of a 2002 K1200LT and having both those features I know the answers.

The little read light is for the alarm. I turn mine off and it blinks twice (even when not armed) once for each remote. It will then blink after a number of seconds to indicate that it is armed. It the bike is disturbed, it will also blink for the number of times the alarm is triggered. You can also set the alarm to auto arm when the motorcycle is turned off or to be manually armed with the remote (setting "B" I believe). There are instructions in the alarm booklet for doing that.

The GPS. It's a BMW Nav I which is a Garmin Street Pilot III. I had it on mine. It's no longer supported by Garmin and updates are no longer available. Before replaced mine 2 years ago, it would sometimes take FOREVER to obtain the satellites. It always took forever to recalculate. But if you ended up getting the MapSource CDROM and computer cable, you can create routes on your PC and send them to the GPS. You'll need the little Garmin lock tool to get it off the motorcycle though.

Oh and by the way, my warning sticker about the ABS Servo Assist brakes looks just like yours!

Chris

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info on the light below headlight adjuster, (alarm is disconnected and no key fob came with the bike) and thanks for info on gps.

gps mount

Being the owner of a 2002 K1200LT and having both those features I know the answers.

The little read light is for the alarm. I turn mine off and it blinks twice (even when not armed) once for each remote. It will then blink after a number of seconds to indicate that it is armed. It the bike is disturbed, it will also blink for the number of times the alarm is triggered. You can also set the alarm to auto arm when the motorcycle is turned off or to be manually armed with the remote (setting "B" I believe). There are instructions in the alarm booklet for doing that.

The GPS. It's a BMW Nav I which is a Garmin Street Pilot III. I had it on mine. It's no longer supported by Garmin and updates are no longer available. Before replaced mine 2 years ago, it would sometimes take FOREVER to obtain the satellites. It always took forever to recalculate. But if you ended up getting the MapSource CDROM and computer cable, you can create routes on your PC and send them to the GPS. You'll need the little Garmin lock tool to get it off the motorcycle though.

Oh and by the way, my warning sticker about the ABS Servo Assist brakes looks just like yours!

Chris

Is there any gps that uses same wiring as the factory original?
Is there any gps that uses same wiring that came from factory? Can you post picture of yours?

Oh this GPS uses a remote antenna and there is no internal antenna. The antenna plug is different from the power plug you can see on the upper left of the GPS. It's a metal "turn once" to connect and without it the GPS won't see the satellites.

There was a GPS or two after it that could be made to work with the existing wiring and intercom but nothing current. We went to Bluetooth headsets and I just replaced the old GPS with a Garmin Zumo 220 when I did.

I notice the 2nd antenna too. Does your CB work? I could never get that old Midland to work even after I replaced it. The CB will only work through the intercom and helmet speakers and not the fairing or top case speakers.

If you haven't found it yet, you may want to head over to bmwlt.com too as there's a wealth of knowledge over there about the K1200LT and I know GPS comes up all the time. Just don't ask about what oil or tires to use! :rofl

Oh this GPS uses a remote antenna and there is no internal antenna. The antenna plug is different from the power plug you can see on the upper left of the GPS. It's a metal "turn once" to connect and without it the GPS won't see the satellites.

There was a GPS or two after it that could be made to work with the existing wiring and intercom but nothing current. We went to Bluetooth headsets and I just replaced the old GPS with a Garmin Zumo 220 when I did.

I notice the 2nd antenna too. Does your CB work? I could never get that old Midland to work even after I replaced it. The CB will only work through the intercom and helmet speakers and not the fairing or top case speakers.

If you haven't found it yet, you may want to head over to bmwlt.com too as there's a wealth of knowledge over there about the K1200LT and I know GPS comes up all the time. Just don't ask about what oil or tires to use! :rofl

Previous owner kept the CB, so 2nd antenna is ornamental. I removed gps and zip tied wires to the metal mounting bracket.

update on navigation

Stumbled across a Garmin Street Pilot Color Map identical to factory model. It had antenna and memory card, and all the cables for pc. Turns out my brother in law had one given to him a couple of years ago. Yeah, that made my day in a big way!

Back