• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

pretty good bike theft prevention idea from a harley forum

My two primary riding buddies are part of the Harley cult (no piece of gear that's not Harley, Harley line F-350, Harley coffee mugs, probably a Harley tattoo). What I've seen in them and others like them is an inability to understand that every motorcyclist doesn't lust after a Harley.

I often rent a Harley when visiting home in Myrtle Beach, SC over Christmas. If it comes up that I ride a BMW, the people at the dealership invariably say, "Once you ride one of these, you'll never go back." I've stopped even trying to correct them.

I visit Harley dealerships when riding with a buddy who rides HD. Not a hardship for me. I like all bikes. When the salespeople try to convert me, I just tell them. "Someday. I'm only 58, and not ready to slow down yet." It's good natured on my part. I've seen their mouth open and close a couple of times because they can't think of how to respond.

I have forgot and left the key in the bag, or in the seat lock. Bike was still there. I did not think about the cash donation though. Next time leaving a hat on the seat.

Rod

Who knows what people will steal? Years ago I had two Honda CB750s and my wife had a Honda CX500. Wanted to sell one 750 and my wife's bike, so every day I rode them down and parked them next to the road with a "for sale" sign and every evening I rode them up and parked them in an open woodshed. Did sell the CX500 that way - after the guy dropped it in my driveway on his way for a test ride; must have been too embarrassed not to buy it! Then one morning I thought one of the 750's seemed to be at a rather weird angle in the woodshed. Somebody had used a plastic gas can to prop up the front end, removed the front wheel and speedometer cable, and also stole the soft luggage off the bike I was keeping. I was planning to sell the bike for $500. Think it cost me as much for the wheel, tire, and cable as I eventually got for the bike - after a lot of shopping in MC junkyards so it was again rideable. The thief would have done me a favor by stealing the whole bike.

Shortly after that I bought a 8X12 shed with no windows for our bikes, both powered and pedal. Best $1500 I've ever spent. While I put a good padlock on it and made sure that there was no easy way to remove the door, I'm convinced that "out of sight, out of mind" is the main thing that has kept our stuff safe at home - and certainly out of the weather year round. Of course, I also have lawn mowers, a couple small boats, and other stuff which remains un-stolen without any protection at all. So who knows?

I suspect Harley's and sport bikes are more attractive to thieves than BMW's - but I still try to remember to remove the key from the ignition.

I got one....

One day at work, I left my wallet on the seat of my K1200RS in the parking lot. 9 hours later, I discovered that my wallet was not in my pants, started searching, like last place or times I seen it. Went down to the Beemer.... and there it was, still on the seat where I left it. Not a key left on the bike, but still, money for the taking...... people still either never looked at the bike or figured its empty or a under a police surveillance or something.

Timely article from Thunder Roads Magazine Louisiana...

MotorcycleThefts-ThunderRoads_zps83d060ce.jpg

Guess they don't steal BMW's.

Not very often compared to other models.
The original data shows the top 15 stolen brands from 2011- 5/31/2012

1 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. 11,014
2 Yamaha Motor Corporation 8,880
3 American Suzuki Motor Corporation 7,281
4 Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. 5,009
5 Harley Davidson, Inc. 3,120
6 KTM Sportmotorcycle AG 410
7 KYMCO U.S.A., Inc. 350
8 Vespa International 323
9 Bajaj Auto., Ltd. 294
10 Goldenvale, Inc. - Roketa 286
11 Ducati Motor Holding 232
12 Astronautical Bashan 226
13 Genuine Cycle 197
14 Zhejiang Shenmao Appliance Co Ltd. 153
15 E-TON Power Tech Co Ltd. 150

Course that said, I know of a guy in NJ who had his S1000 Stolen this past week.

I don't claim to have all the answers as to "how does a thief think" when it comes to stealing stuff but can assure you that several of the posters here are giving the criminal mind way too much credit! I do know that I've spent lots more time talking to a thief than most people. The typical criminal that steals a MC is not the same guy that recently stole millions in jewels in Paris,France! Many of the kids I worked with were IQ's in the under 100 range and same for many in prison back then-with the many drug related people incarcerated today the IQ's have gone way up but still they are looking for money or a ride when they steal. Crime of opportunity. Park by the "door" in full lights is my vote & save the space the cover takes up. My cover says "Dowco" cause they are great covers & lifetime free replacement & stays home.
I have worked as a counselor in a prison,taught/counseled juvenile delinquents & been the superintendent of a juvy program & can assure you theft is about what they notice (bling,i.e.chrome) that they can steal quickly & w/o getting caught but often is committed in the haze of drugs & alcohol too. I suspect many of the warm weather thefts from cities above are to gain something to ride that they cannot afford & a fewer amt. for parts conversion. a cover that hides the hides the "shine" IMO will deter theft but as for myself I don't haul a cover around when I travel. As for the Mexico comment, no sane person leaves their MC outside there(unless a guarded lot) no matter the brand, that's the simple reality. Sure "they" notice nice BMW's & other "nice" MC's but it's not a brand fixation like some want to think.

Generic bike covers for my 1200GS and wife's 1200R. Our race trailer is just plain white, no markings. I sleep better at night knowing we're not broadcasting what's under the covers or in the trailer... :)

Generic bike covers for my 1200GS and wife's 1200R. Our race trailer is just plain white, no markings. I sleep better at night knowing we're not broadcasting what's under the covers or in the trailer... :)

I dunno, a plain white trailer looks like someone trying hard to be unobtrusive... Maybe just paint "Crime Scene Cleanup" on the trailer?

Back