• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Neglected R100GS/PD

I had a choice between FLA and an AGM for my 911...GlobalRider

And Porsche offers Lithium batteries as an option in some models, for only $2,000.00. :D

Last edited:
And Porsche offers Lithium batteries as an option in some models, for only $2,000.00. :D

Yeah, they are catering to those that need to be able to say they have a Lithium battery in their car.

Those people fall into the group of dummies that always get the latest stuff first so that they can talk about it at work the next day....even if it drives them to the poorhouse.

forum

Nice thread hijack...

The mighty GS/PD is alive

Sorry guys, it has been a couple of days since I kept up with the forum. I did order a JMT Gel Battery from Wunderlich. They had an airhead "BMW2Valve" division that had everything I needed. Installed the battery, cleaned up and changed the fluids, drained floatbowls and gas tank and she fired up. The first test was around the neighborhood and the front brake dragged. So. . . new brake fluid and clean up the pads and that problem was solved. Tires ordered, I stuck with Metzler Sahara 3 Enduro's. When they get here I can install them and do a more extended ride. It is a beast and I told my wife it is like a big brother to my DR650. Thanks for all the help and information, especially about the batteries. Wish I could post pictures but have yet to learn that. Thanks again and will keep you informed.

Good to hear that you've got it running. I would suggest, as a first order of service, that you clean and lubricate the clutch splines.

I stuck with Metzler Sahara 3 Enduro's.

They have been on my airhead GS since I bought it new back in 1991 and based on my experience with Michelin Anakees on my KLR 650, I won't be switching from them. Both the R100 GS and the KLR 650 have the exact same tire sizes. The KLR has less power and torque, and weighs well over 100 pounds less than my GS. Yet the Michelin Anakees that were touted to have a long tread life, did not do so well.

Thanks for all the help and information, especially about the batteries.

By the way, that Yuasa 53030 that I just installed in my R100 GS, spins the starter over quite quickly. Till then I was always using the BMW Mareg brand getting some 8 full years out of them. I'll see how the Yuasa does.

two rides later

The PD has taken my wife and I on two short trips. One to Cripple Creek by way of Shelf Rd. and home on the paved High Park Rd. The other to Westcliffe by way of Oak Creek Grade and home Rosita and Puma Canyon. It is preforming perfectly on dirt and the highway. Very happy with it and plenty of power for us older seasoned citizens. I have had the 1150 GS and a 1200GSA and was not sure of this R100GSPD would have the power but so far so good. An overnighter is coming up to Gunnison next week and we'll have another step in building confidence in the airhead.

Back