• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200RT erratic idle

OLDPILOT

oldpilot
On yesterday's ride noticed that the engine is slow to reduce RPM when closing throttle. Also does not return to 1100RPM as it has in the past 20,000 miles I have ridden this bike. Also when idling at a traffic light the idle rpm will slowly creep up to 1500 rpm. Blipping the throttle will return the engine to 1100rpm but still creeps back up to 1500rpm.
Comparing this RT to an 1200R I rode recently, the engine does de-accelerate much slower when the throttle is closed.
The throttle cables seem to move freely so biding not happening, must be something else making the idle misbehave.
Suggestions? Thanks

It seems I have read that the routing of the throttle cables around the air filter can cause a problem....has anyone replaced an air filter lately?

Ron

With regular carburetors, I'd look for an air leak - that probably does not apply to the RTs fuel injection.

Had the tank off lately? It's easy to snag/stretch the throttle cable when putting the tank back.

Thanks for the replys , but air cleaner was changed at 12k and tank, plastic etc. was last off at 18k.
bike now has 21k miles.
I feel like it is fuel injector part going bad or some thing that sends rpm info to the throttle idle system.
Problem really just became noticeable on yesterday's 80mile. Ride.

Your idle speed is controlled by engine managment system no idle speed screws on the bike.
Cables, sensors and stepper motors plus the usual other suspets like vacuum leaks

Some of the things reported by others
Vacuum leak at throttle body
Worn butterflies (IMO not likely at low miles)
Idle stepper motor sticking
Throttle cable not properly positioned in stop at motor
Other sensors

What is not so likely is an injector- not impossible though. A first rule of mechanics is nearly everything any novice thinks is in the fuel system is actually elsewhere. Rule is accurate well over 90% of the time.

No instant answer will be obtained in this thread- you simply have to pull the plastic and check out stuff methodically

Your idle speed is controlled by engine managment system no idle speed screws on the bike.
Cables, sensors and stepper motors plus the usual other suspets like vacuum leaks

Some of the things reported by others
Vacuum leak at throttle body
Worn butterflies (IMO not likely at low miles)
Idle stepper motor sticking
Throttle cable not properly positioned in stop at motor
Other sensors

I agree.

What is not so likely is an injector- not impossible though. A first rule of mechanics is nearly everything any novice thinks is in the fuel system is actually elsewhere. Rule is accurate well over 90% of the time.

<g> I was exposed to this Rule (showing my age here) as: Almost all carbuertor problems are electrical. :laugh

No instant answer will be obtained in this thread- you simply have to pull the plastic and check out stuff methodically

Agree again.

Idle Problem solved!

After gathering many suggestions here and other places I turned to Morton's BMW in Fredericsburg , Va. and
asked Stuart Beatson, the service manager, for suggestions.
He suggested checking the vacuum hose on left Throttle body and if OK use Star Tron fuel treatment to clean the fuel system due to the numerous times that Ethanol fuel as been a cause of problems.
I used two bottles on a trip from Richmond, Va. to Canada an back last week and NO more idle issues.
I really feel lucky to have Stuart and Morton's as my local dealer. Jeff Massey, the owner, has put together a great source of support for BMW.

Back