• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motors and Racers of The Tour

na1g

na1g
I know it's been touched on before, but I'm just so darn impressed with the whole Tour de France spectacle.

The racers are, of course, extremely talented, gutsy, brave and at times insane. Cornering at speed on about 2 square inches of rubber takes all of that. But the moto riders - TV bikes, officials, law enforcement - are a pretty great group, too. A nod to the helo pilots is also in order. All of which combine to bring us couch potatoes amazing coverage of The Tour.

Interesting also to us motorcyclists is the mix of machinery. Kawasaki seems to have the "official" motorcycle thing locked up and I'm sure the product placement is good for sales of the big GTR ("Concours" in the USA). BMW is well represented by the RT boxer twin camera bikes, and I've spotted a K1600 and an old K-brick in the crowd, too. Some law enforcement seems to be on Yamaha FJRs, and a couple of maxi-scooters showed up, brand unknown to me. Not a Honda or Triumph to be seen, although I'd think the Pan Euro (ST1300) would be a great camera bike.

Anyway, there are into the final days with a couple of tough mountain stages yet to come before the ride around Paris. Even if you don't care a fig about bicycle racing, the Tour coverage is fascinating and the m-c watching fun.

pete
'11 RT

"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde

also this time of year on my local biking trails Tour wannabes show up in spandexed costumes wheezing all over the place. It's cool except for the safety factor as they appear to be searching for the peloton with little reard for the multiple use parks. Yikes. Some have yellow jerseys, go figure. I wonder if I need bicycle liability insurance?

Not being a bicyclist I miss some of the strategy unless commentators tell me.- unlike motorized competition where I could school a lot of the commentators who weren't themselves racers. And if I were riding one of the camera or chase bikes I'd be very likely to screw up the competition from my lack of understanding.
Even with the long history of extensive doping, packing and corruption the effort required is still interesting- being about how much you can get out of the puny physical efforts of a human body plus team tactics when fighting mostly air resistance and topography.. Having to go back out for the next day for two weeks, especially after a day when you load your muscles with as much lactic acid as they can stand for hours on end has to be a real ordeal..I'd be thrilled if I had a fraction of the aerobic capability of those guys..

Cycling even for the amateur gives great practice to the inner ear that compliments your other riding skills/balance. Started cycling in about '01, when walking or running wasn't an option, knees. it may have saved me from the "big one". I ride a full suspension mountain bike around town, and a rodie Alan with ultegra. trying to get down to 180 my target weight. Enhances the riding experience. Spending money on a good bicycle may be at least as good an investment as a motorcycle.

The "tour" is only one of many bicycle races in the world of cycling but the one that gets the media attention. A son(raced on road bikes himself) went to the world cycling championships in Italy one year & there were said to be 800,000+ spectators there about the course actually watching.

Back