• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heidenau K-90's....my verdict is.....

chelseaboy

09 F650GS, 08 Suzuki Band
So I put these Heidenau K-90 on my F650GS a few months ago. My initial impression was that they were really buzzy, but people here said they will smooth out after a while. My verdict after a few thousand miles is that I hate them. They are grippy and all, but they are still way too buzzy. I took a trip down to LA two weeks ago, and my right hand was really numb after the first day and it just got worse over the course of the trip. This has never happened to me on this bike before - I have toured on it extensively, and I have a Kaoko throttle lock I use a lot as I ride, and the only variable that changed was the tires. In fact it took about 10 days after the end of my trip for the feeling to come back to the tips of my fingers.

So....off they go next week and I'm putting Metzeler Tourances back on them.

Cheers

Norm

Mine don't feel like street tires, but my bike doesn't feel like a street bike either. I love the way they work on my 2012 F650GS. I do like the feel of street tires on long road trips, but for dual sport riding...the Heidenau tires rock!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I assume you mean the K60s and not K90s.

Yes they are buzzy, and yes they are louder. I used them for an Alaska trip and felt safe on them but you are right they are not a street touring tire. A search of the forums before you bought them would have told you that.

I plan to mostly ride highway for the next few trips so I took mine off and stored them away out of the sun. Going to try the new Anakee III. I will use them (K60s) again if and when i plan another back road adventure.

no I mean the K-90's...just like I said. And I did research them right here on this forum and others and people gave them good reviews.

Fair enough, you tried them... personally i run a K-60 in back and TKC on the front... but then i try to stay off the roads...

I have many different tires and the Metzeler Tourances are my favorite road tires...

Hope new tires helps your hands

What is a Heidenau K90 and where did you get it? Neither the US nor German makers website lists any such tire, nor do common US dealers. I know what 60, 70, or 80 is but a 90?? Sure its not a size or another brand?? What are the maker claims for it??

FWIW, its silly to expect any offroad capable tire (with the possible exception of some smoother tread 90/10 versions with trail capability) to be smooth at highway speeds. That's simply asking more of stock motor mounts, bar mounts and shocks than they were ever intended to, or can, deliver. Folks have been trying this since the days of the first J brand enduros with pretty much the same results...

My Transalp wears 90/10 rubber. Mostly used as an around town bike so I live the limits of 90/10 off pavement. Got a set of more serious stuff for it but not willing to live with its traction compromises for most of my use of that bike...not enough real off road use to justify another set of wheels either..

Even some stuff (like Tourances on some bikes) can be buzzy simply because the carcass is heavier and stiffer than a typical pure street tire so transmits more vibes to the bars. Not a rare complaint. If you can get tire weights as a spec, look at them to gauge this risk. Applies to cage tires as well....

You had us all thinking there a new tire out and you had the exclusive inside scoop on it. :laugh

I've been running the K60s and am fairly pleased with them. I'm looking at trying the new Karoo 3 next though. The K60s are wearing well, but are lacking a bit in the really soft mud and sand, mostly due to the solid center strip on the 150 size.

Dammit, stupid old age brain fart on my part....I have the K-76's
Ha ha, no problem, been there dun that......so I can stop all my google searches. I actually did come upon a K90 but it was at a German site and could not understand it. They looked exactly the same as the 76s

Back