• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

using tiedowns on 1981 R100RS

chwood4

What is the best way to tie down a RS for transport in a utility trailer? The small handlebars with the handlebar pad in place doesn't allow a lot of room for straps. I could use a couple of tiedown strap loops on the grips but am worried it will compress the foam grips too much. I am leery about using the forks. I will use the crash bars and the krauser brackets in the rear for stability..it has worked in the past. I just am not sure about the front.

thanks

The few times I had to transport my RS I ran the straps through the opening in the fairing that the fork tubes go through.I them hooked onto the handlebar that way.I keep one side of the rubber fairing gromets unglued.
George

The few times I had to transport my RS I ran the straps through the opening in the fairing that the fork tubes go through.I them hooked onto the handlebar that way.I keep one side of the rubber fairing gromets unglued.
George

obviously you used a tiedown on the floor of the trailer.

Try to get to the tiedowns on the lower triple tree and pull down from there.

I trailered my 78RS thousands of miles. As said, knock the rubber boots out, wrap handlebar bands around the bottom triple tree to the tie downs, then towards the front sides of the trailer. Wrap handlebar bands around the back frame under the seat and connect to tied downs on the side, compress about 1/2 way, not all the way. My tie downs have spring locks on the ends so they cannot slip out of the bands. The bike should have something to keep it from moving forward so the bands stay tight, and a track to keep it from slipping sideways.

tie downs

This method will work on your RT
This is my R1200C
Use two double ended straps around each of the forks

Attachments

• IMG_20130707_200745_557.jpg
    IMG_20130707_200745_557.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 85
Next photo

He can't go around handlebars because the straps will not go over the fairing, or through the holes in the bottom of it if they are around the bars because they put too much stress on the fairing itself. Going around the bottom triple clamp is the only way to prevent damaging the fairing. The rear is fine on your setup. See the photo below, the tie downs connect to handlebar straps around the triple clamp. Do not use this type of tie downs. My came lose on this trip, I now have ones with spring latches on the end.

Attachments

• P1010641.jpg
    P1010641.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
My current setup, notice the tie downs have clips on them. Much better, as the bike bounces they will not loosen and come out of the straps.

Attachments

• IMGP3944.jpg
    IMGP3944.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 83
. I will use the crash bars and the krauser brackets in the rear for stability..it has worked in the past. thanks

OK, so I am late to this party. But no way would I trust bag mounts as tie down points - have seen these crack just from hauling stuff in the bags.

Back