• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R80 Series and AirBox Modifications

Bikemike1

I ran across a site that illustrated how to "possibly" get better gas mileage by modifying your airbox snorkels by drilling 4 small holes at 30 degrees close to the edge of the snorkels entrances. There was a re-call in the 80's I believe on such an issue. Unfortuately, I would love to send the website for your viewing but I haven't figured it out how - yet. I will, but time is not available. Nevertheless, has anyone comer across such reading and IF so, what are your thoughts?

This came up a year or two ago, consensus was it wasn't going to change much.
I had a quick search, couldn't come up with the thread.

My thought (from that original thread) is that if the BMW engineers spent countless
duechemarks designing, prototyping, and testing the intake tract and ended up with
the twin snorkels....I find it hard to believe that we can do better with a drill!! The
snorkel would have been a major change for the air intake and not something they
just threw together.

I ran across a site that illustrated how to "possibly" get better gas mileage by modifying your airbox snorkels by drilling 4 small holes at 30 degrees close to the edge of the snorkels entrances. There was a re-call in the 80's I believe on such an issue. Unfortuately, I would love to send the website for your viewing but I haven't figured it out how - yet. I will, but time is not available. Nevertheless, has anyone comer across such reading and IF so, what are your thoughts?

Perhaps the article you read was by Snowbum (see Link) The "drilled hole mod" only apples if you have a metal cover on your 1980 machine. The later mod with two different snorkel sizes may help with gas mileage. Read both carefully. I have no experience with either since I ride an 81 R100RT.
Good Luck
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/R80-fuel-mileage-problems.htm

Back