• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is Tomtom back in the motorcycle GPS business?

Interesting, thanks for sharing...

I hope that it is a really great GPS, competition amongst manufacturers means better products for us.

Garmin's tech support is horrible and is why I no longer own any Garmin products, and never will.

Tom Tom is my current favorite. I'm using 3 Tom Toms, all cost under 100$. The one on my bike is not waterproof, but I put it away in the rain. For under 100, I'm extremely pleased with it.

This looks like a nice unit, but at 399, still more than I'm willing to pay.
GPS is becoming a disposable item now. Not like the first Magellan I bought at $1400!

GPS and Sena SMH10 Pairing

Does anyone have non-Zumo models GPS recommendations that will pair up with the Sena SMH10 so as to receive turn-by-turn directions and phone calls?

Probably not what you have in mind, but I'm satisfied using my Galaxy S2 smartphone(android). I use the CoPilot Live app with on-phone map storage ($10 on sale). Not perfect but adequate for my needs.
Power usage is the biggest drawback - having the display screen, GPS , Bluetooth and mp3 player on continually will drain the battery after about 5 hours, even with the power cord connected. It keeps working, but when you get off the bike, your phone is dead. I usually do not need to see the screen; if I put CoPilot in the background with the music app in the foreground, the screen can go to sleep, I still hear the turn by turn, and the phone charges OK. I use a RAM mount for the phone, it goes into the tank bag in the rain or on gravel roads. The phone works great with the SMH10. Phone calls sound better than using the phone alone - on both ends of the call.

I prefer to plan my routes with a paper map and keep a simple list of the route number changes in my tank bag map pocket. I find turn-by-turn annoying. I can follow route signs, I usually do not need to know every twist and turn as a route goes through town.

Does anyone have non-Zumo models GPS recommendations that will pair up with the Sena SMH10 so as to receive turn-by-turn directions and phone calls?

Sena also sells an adapter that can be plugged into your GPS headset jack that will send the spoken turn by turn instruction via blue tooth to your headset. I have it and it works, I just have to come up with a way to keep it charged.

I'd looked for that recently but can't figure out what's going on. At places I see references to a Tom Tom Rider 2, but Amazon, Best Buy, etc. either don't list it or list it as out of stock.

I just this morning got an email reminding me once again why I hate Garmin. I installed Base Camp on the Macbook Air I use when I travel and purchased the map set. I put Garmin Express on it and would go through the hours long map download process but it would only install them on the Zumo, not the computer. So I wrote this up on a support request to Garmin. Their answer back was, "Install Garmin Express and run it." My reply was, "Please have someone else re-read the help request I submitted."

Old message I know, but you have to select "advanced options" and choose "computer and gps" for map installation locations.

I have had a GPS on my bike since about 1997 or so. I used one in the 1999 Iron Butt Rally. I have had 9 or 10 different units - all Garmin.

We - riders and motorists have allowed Garmin to lose its way as far as I'm concerned. But I know I am an outlier here. We (riders and drivers) seem to want and seem to be willing to pay for much more than I want in a GPS. We seem to want music, pairing with a telephone (even though we swear we are against using a phone while driving), voices in our ears, satelite radio, weather, traffic, sunrise, sunset, and the phases of the moon. Plus good fishing days, pollen count, and only the Creator knows what else. And we want this all accessible on a touch screen.

Me? I just want a good waterproof GPS with detailed maps that does good navigation. Which is why the obsolete models - 276c, 376, 478, etc, cost more on ebay today than when they were new 7 or 8 years ago.

Me? I just want a good waterproof GPS with detailed maps that does good navigation. Which is why the obsolete models - 276c, 376, 478, etc, cost more on ebay today than when they were new 7 or 8 years ago.

Me too, and I don't think Garmin ever managed to make a unit that is better than the old Street Pilot 28xx units. I'm still running mine and dread the day it quits.

Back