• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Oil Filter Wrench

It's the same size as many Mercedes and VW and you ought to be able to find one for $10. For sure you do not have to use motorcycle sources.

It's 74 mm, 14 flats.

lkchris is correct, but I'll add a couple of thoughts. On my K75, the most commonly available plastic one wouldn't fit into the filter cavity, even though it was correctly sized for the filter. A second inexpensive metal one fit fine, but wouldn't grip the filter tightly enough. (On the K75, the filter hangs in the oil bath, so the canister is very slippery.) It was finally the BMW OEM wrench that gave me complete satisfaction.

I know I'm going to get reemed for this.
And, It might not be the thing to do on a GS.

I use an automotive filter. If I can find it I use a PureOne PL25230.
It is about 1.5" taller, and sticks out from the bottom of the sump so I can get it with a conventional small filter wrench.
Usually I don't even need a wrench, since it has the grippy coating on the end.

Do not put one of these in a K bike inside the oil bath. The grippy stuff will loosen and come off in your oil eventually.
Exterior applications only.

You can shoot a couple of self drilling metal screws through the wrench into the bottom of the filter.

You can shoot a couple of self drilling metal screws through the wrench into the bottom of the filter.

I resorted to something like this to get my first filter out, which had apparently been installed by a gorilla. After that, I was very happy to have a wrench that just worked right.

I gotta read more carefully

I thought it said "Oil Filter Wench" so I felt the $38 for the nice lady's service price was fine. Now that I see it says wRench and I gotta do it myself I'll check it out at wally world. Perhaps take my spare filter in to get a good fit?

It's the same size as many Mercedes and VW and you ought to be able to find one for $10.

It's 74 mm, 14 flats.

Possibly 76 mm?

Its also used on Porsche oil filters OC 213 and OC 229.

Attachments

• Mahle OC 91 Oil Filter.jpg
    Mahle OC 91 Oil Filter.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 177
I know oil threads can go on for ages, but who'd have thought "what size oil filter wrench" could start such discussion?

Since I happen to have two old filters and three wrenches handy, I took some measurements. All are mm across flats.

Filtersmm
Purolator L1024172.3
Bosch D333072.4
Wrenches
Stamped metal74.3
Plastic - size "D"74.2
Hazet (BMW)74.5

Umnnn, BMW doesn't make filters. They aren't proprietary. Just in case you didn't know, BMW doesn't have it's own oil refinery either. I use Wix 57936 which are the OE for BMW. They cost me about $8.00 CDN by the case. On any given day it's 27 cents USAD or $12.00 USAD? The filter wrench is off the shelf and fits pretty good. If filter bypass is a concern, I would suggest knowing a good engine builder and fast.

Just to mess things up, the only K&N on my R1100RT is the air filter. In think the story I have about my K&N oil filter is pretty common.

I really like the comment about the PureOne PL25230. An extra inch would be awesome when you leave the filter on while the bike sits for six months, like in Canada.

74.5 actually

The "D" measurement must be the diameter of the can then.

As for the "stuck filter syndrome" that I read elsewhere in this thread, they do not have to be overtightened to be "stuck".

I torque my filters and the one time it was stuck on was because I used oil on the seal. My filters sit for a year on my overseas BMW. Since then, I apply a thin smear of Dow Corning Vacuum Grease to the seal...and problem solved.

So the Purlator PL25230 has the exact same drain back valve, exact same pressure drop rating, as the stock filter for the Oilhead?

I had tried to find that data years ago and never was able to confirm it. So I always stuck to using the Purolater PL10241.

So the Purlator PL25230 has the exact same drain back valve, exact same pressure drop rating, as the stock filter for the Oilhead?

I had tried to find that data years ago and never was able to confirm it. So I always stuck to using the Purolater PL10241.

No it does not.
I want to stress this, it is not strictly in spec for the boxer, as in it differs from OEM in these measurements.
I can gather my research leading me to choose that filter if you like, but I do remember that the numbers do not match.

However I have since decided that the synthetic 99.9% efficient whatever-micron filter is complete overkill for this engine, anyway.
(At the risk of starting a different argument.)

The stock or oem Mann filter should NOT have an anti-drainback valve as it is made to stay inverted while in service; not on its side or pointed up as it might be in a car. I don't have one handy to look at.

The other thing about the Mann filters is - no paint. They can live happily in the hot oil bath of a flying brick.

The PL10241 is closer to spec.
Purolator also actually makes a "motorcycle, full flow" filter which is very similar to OEM.

filter

I use a K+N filter on my R1100RS. It has a nut welded to the bottom which makes it a cinch to remove using my 1/2 inch ratchet.

Back