• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Right fork leg removal - 2000 R1100RT

JamesInCA

First post on my new-to-me 2000 R1100RT, with 60k miles.

In the course of removing the front wheel for tire replacement, I found that whoever last changed the wheel partially stripped out the axle pinch bolt head. (As the bike was dealer-maintained at a large shop, I'm guessing someone just got too happy with the air wrench.) In the course of attempting to remove the stripped bolt, I have removed the bolt head, allowing removal of the wheel, but now have the rest of the bolt to contend with. It hasn't budged with what I've been able to do to it in situ.

My thought is to remove the entire fork leg so I can get it into the drill press etc. (Or to the shop, so they can sort it out.)

Clymer's wants me to remove the fairings, gas tank, etc. for the upper and/or lower fork brace removal procedure. But it appears to me from looking at it, that I should be able to unbolt and move the right handlebar aside, release the upper fork brace threaded connection, unfasten the two bolts on the lower fork brace, and then just remove the entire right fork assembly. Am I missing something?

You don't even have to do that much; if all you want is the slider you can leave the tube on the bike. Unbolt the fork slider from the brace and just slide it off the tube (the tube pivots in the top plate so you can swing it away from the brace). When you reinstall, use a shortened 3mm allen wrench to remove the bleed screw at the top of the tube so you can let the air out as you [carefully and slowly] slide the slider back on.

Back