• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Does your GS-W Shift Roughly?

clutch

Except of course if the rear oil seal was leaking on the early boxer haha.

Good thread 12,800 mi and clutch seemed to be harder to operate. It sneaks up on u gradually. So I opened the bowl, oil spilled out and I adjusted for proper fill. It really does make a difference and shift quality is back. Starting in First is no longer the hassle it was and shift to 2nd and 3rd smooth. thanks for this thread and making my ride so much better.

In the latest issue of BMW Motorcycle Magazine, Jens Staebe, Head of Technical Support and Warranty at BMW Motorrad talks about this issue as being a 'clutch separation and shift shock' issue and goes on to say that there is ONLY one approved engine oil for the GS-W. That oil is Castrol Power 1 Racing SAE 5W-40, APL SL/JASO MA2, and it's expensive (go figure). Overfilling the crankcase must be avoided. He stated that, "We are familiar with isolated confirmations of this separation behavior of the clutch, which is why we are investigating improvements. If technical measures should be necessary, we will inform our commercial network immediately." Nothing in the article mentions anything about overfilled reservoirs.

Well, Castrol oil is not available here. So, why is the 1200GS LC available? LOL! My dealer uses Motul 300 5W40, which is supposed to have the same specs as the Castrol.

At the 10,000 kms service, they did the oil change, but I specifically asked for no more than 4L. In fact, they put 3,9L according to the mechanic. They also replaced both clutch and brake lines DOT. My gear shifting, which had been improving all the time, is now almost smooth as butter. Almost. Not going into first, mind you, but I guess THAT is hopeless. I also have less clutch drag when starting cold in the morning, with 1st engaged and clutch pulled in, which caused a jump forward of the bike, and also made it difficult to move around by hand.

Well, Castrol oil is not available here. So, why is the 1200GS LC available? LOL! My dealer uses Motul 300 5W40, which is supposed to have the same specs as the Castrol.

At the 10,000 kms service, they did the oil change, but I specifically asked for no more than 4L. In fact, they put 3,9L according to the mechanic. They also replaced both clutch and brake lines DOT. My gear shifting, which had been improving all the time, is now almost smooth as butter. Almost. Not going into first, mind you, but I guess THAT is hopeless. I also have less clutch drag when starting cold in the morning, with 1st engaged and clutch pulled in, which caused a jump forward of the bike, and also made it difficult to move around by hand.

If BMW requires a particular oil, they have to pay for it. As long as it meets the specifications outlined by BMW, it will be fine. I think Shell Rotella has a 5W-40 synthetic that meets JASO MA2 specs. It comes in 4 quart jugs and is reasonably priced.

Amazon won't ship it to where ever you are?

They also replaced both clutch and brake lines DOT.

I certainly hope not. Or perhaps I misunderstood. Clutch does not use DOT anything. It uses a mineral oil. Says so right on the cap.

Back