Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Insurance premiums....

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by grover1949 View Post
    When I got my beemer, I called my agent. She got me a quote from Progressive that was about 1/4 of what our regular underwriter quoted for less coverage. She said she is a rider and also insures with Progressive.
    Several years ago, I went insurance shopping for my motorcycles. I checked with a lot of folks but concentrated on the various associations and outfits claiming large savings for motorcycles. The rates varied widely with many of them but most of them had on thing in common. When questioned as to the insurance company, most were selling Progressive. For me, the best rate I found at the time was Progressive on-line. Since that time, other national companies have gotten their rates down but their adjusters don't know how to handle motorcycle claims. I was hit in the rear and found myself laying in the road about a week and a half ago by a nice 84 year old man who was insured with Allstate. I was sore but uninjured but my ride has damage to the rear and the right side. The Allstate adjuster looked at the damage promptly but had no idea what she was looking at (nice lady I have known for 30 years). They are still working on an estimate. Progressive has motorcycle specific adjusters that would have had the claim settled by now.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Several years ago, I went insurance shopping for my motorcycles. I checked with a lot of folks but concentrated on the various associations and outfits claiming large savings for motorcycles. The rates varied widely with many of them but most of them had on thing in common. When questioned as to the insurance company, most were selling Progressive. For me, the best rate I found at the time was Progressive on-line. Since that time, other national companies have gotten their rates down but their adjusters don't know how to handle motorcycle claims. I was hit in the rear and found myself laying in the road about a week and a half ago by a nice 84 year old man who was insured with Allstate. I was sore but uninjured but my ride has damage to the rear and the right side. The Allstate adjuster looked at the damage promptly but had no idea what she was looking at (nice lady I have known for 30 years). They are still working on an estimate. Progressive has motorcycle specific adjusters that would have had the claim settled by now.
    That's interesting, because my head had begun wandering through thoughts about "...how well do each of these companies settle claims?..." The sharp end of the deal, sort of thing! Certainly, online, Progressive is showing ahead in the numbers race right now, and hearing that about knowledgeable adjusters... Hmmmm....

Insurance

I am 62 and have a 2013 R1200RT. I used to be a Prudential agent back in the late 70's and when I compared their auto (minus my commission) vs Erie Ins, Erie could not be beat. I have had Erie for over 30 years for all my cars and homes.

When I picked up my new BMW I had to shop around. I got a quote from Erie but I also got a quote from Foremost Ins (I read about it on one of these bike websites). With my AARP discount, Foremost completely wiped out Erie and that was with my Erie multi home and multi car discount.

Check into Foremost!!!!

Loaded Geico policy for a 2013 R1200R $330/ year

RT in NC

I have NC Farm Bureau for almost $580 per year. Comparable quotes from Geico was $915 and Progressive $850. Guess I will keep what I have.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

Just got my annual State Farm renewal. Live in Indiana's second largest city (approximately 350,000 in greater metro area). I'm 64, retired with one speeding ticket for 12 over in the last 12 years, no accidents for 20 years. Been with State Farm for over 40 years and have my home, two cars and umbrella liability policy with them.

On my 2013 R1200RT I have Bodily injury - 250,000/500,000
    Property Damage - 100,000
    Medical Payments - 1,000
    $100 Deductible Comprehensive
    $500 Deductible Collision
    Uninsured Motor Vehicle - Bodily injury 250,000/500,000, Property damage 10,000
    Underinsured Motor vehicle - Bodily injury 250,000/500,000

Total annual premium $347.91.
    MOA #46783
    2015 R1200RT

USAA
    K1600 $38 per month
    C650GT $30 per month

Quote Originally Posted by scalese01@verizon.net View Post
    ...Check into Foremost!!!!...
    Waiting for their quote now!! Thanks.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMetreMan View Post
    That's interesting, because my head had begun wandering through thoughts about "...how well do each of these companies settle claims?..." The sharp end of the deal, sort of thing! Certainly, online, Progressive is showing ahead in the numbers race right now, and hearing that about knowledgeable adjusters... Hmmmm....
    Two weeks after my accident, Allstate finally made me an offer on my total loss. It was $700 less than the only comparable unit they found and about the same under NADA retail. All of the other comparables were different year models or listed in fair condition with excessive miles. The comparable units were as close as 138 miles from me to as far as 338 miles from me. How does that reflect local market value?

They sent it to the total loss settlement unit and away from my adjuster friend. This will be fun. I was an insurance adjuster for over 31 years and I will know more about the procedures and laws regarding claims settlements. I have 5 years to settle the property damage part and 2 years for my "injury".
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    Two weeks after my accident, Allstate finally made me an offer on my total loss. It was $700 less than the only comparable unit they found and about the same under NADA retail. All of the other comparables were different year models or listed in fair condition with excessive miles. The comparable units were as close as 138 miles from me to as far as 338 miles from me. How does that reflect local market value?

They sent it to the total loss settlement unit and away from my adjuster friend. This will be fun. I was an insurance adjuster for over 31 years and I will know more about the procedures and laws regarding claims settlements. I have 5 years to settle the property damage part and 2 years for my "injury".

...and isn't it the settling of claims that is the ultimate litmus test of an insurance company's real worth???...

That's part of my "concern" right now - not just choosing the cheapest premium for the highest cover, but also finding a company who settle claims equitably and swiftly. I have one such with my "cage" insurance (Travelers, if it is of any interest), but the picture on bike claims is still unfolding...

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    USAA
    K1600 $38 per month
    C650GT $30 per month
    Lucky you, guess you were grand fathered in. They don't take new customers/they send you to progressive now.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Quote Originally Posted by rjzinc View Post
    The more I read this thread, the happier that I am with my Geico insurance for my '08 R1200GS...
    I just switched from Geico to Progressive. progressive had better coverage and my premium went from over $404 to $260 on my '09 RT

$100 Deductible Comp, $1,000 collision

Liability Bodily Injury250K ,500K each accident
    Property Damage Liability 100K each Accident

Underinsured Motorist 250K each person /500 each Accident

$5,000 accessory Coverage. (Loss to Accessories only NOT subject to deductible)
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicman52 View Post
    I just switched from Geico to Progressive. progressive had better coverage and my premium went from over $404 to $260 on my '09 RT

$100 Deductible Comp, $1,000 collision

Liability Bodily Injury250K ,500K each accident
    Property Damage Liability 100K each Accident

Underinsured Motorist 250K each person /500 each Accident

$5,000 accessory Coverage. (Loss to Accessories only NOT subject to deductible)
    Was that through an agent or online??? - if you care to share!!

You just need to check around. Rider Insurance, Springfield NJ had the best rate (by far) when I checked. My most expensive MC is the 2012 R1200GSA and the yearly premium is $156 including the 10% multi-bike discount, or $173 insured alone.
    This is for full coverage including accessories with $500 deductible, un and under insured coverage, 100-300K Bodily injury, 50k property. The only thing is they only write in a few states; NJ, PA, WV, OH, maybe a few others now.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMetreMan View Post
    Was that through an agent or online??? - if you care to share!!
    It won't matter. No insurance company undercuts their authorized agents, it would be suicide to do it (the agent would immediately start switching people to other companies.)

I'll repeat what I think I said before - get an agent to do the work for you. They can get quotes via computer within minutes, and they have feedback from other customers on what companies are good to work with for claims and which ones to avoid. Even better if you can find an agent who rides (mine does - an R1200R.. )

FWIW - I bent a front rim on my R12R a month or so ago. A new rim is $960. Tire is ~$230. Mounting the tire $40. I had a new tire waiting to go on when the rim got bent.. I have $500 collision deductible on my Progressive policy and very high liability coverage (a requirement of my general liability policy that picks up where the other insurance cuts off.) My agent contacted Progressive for me and said to file for it under collision. The claims person at Progressive was in contact with me within about 2 hours, took all the info, then said the adjuster would call. He called in about an hour and we made an appointment for the next morning. He arrived on time, looked at the bent rim, said "the tire should be replaced also.." and then went out to his car. He came back with a computer printed check that covered everything except the $500 deductible (rim, tire, labor.) Since I had intended to replace the tire anyway - it was MUCH less painful then if my agent hadn't suggested taking this course of action. I asked the agent if it would have an effect on my rates - and he thought not - Progressive has a small-claims amnesty where things like this don't count against your rates.

Was I happy? Yes. Why did I have Progressive? My last company tried jumping their rates on me at renewal, and my agent did some shopping for me. It had nothing to do with Flo in the ads..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche