• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Accessing coolant expansion tank area/removal of plastic panel

HaroldGSW

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the removal of the plastic panel on the right side that gives access to the expansion tank and radiator fill? I successfully removed the necessary screws and pulled at the panel from above, but the lower contact point is resisting coming out--and I don't want to break anything this soon. Any meaningful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:banghead

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the removal of the plastic panel on the right side that gives access to the expansion tank and radiator fill? I successfully removed the necessary screws and pulled at the panel from above, but the lower contact point is resisting coming out--and I don't want to break anything this soon. Any meaningful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:banghead

What bike are you referring to?

Thanks everyone--it's no big deal. I like to get ahead of the game in the event something goes wrong. I've learned that hard way not force any fitment on the bike, because everything normally fits well. In the meantime, it's another rainy day here in Charleston, so that means another GS day finding mud and such to play in--you gotta love this bike.:dance

Harold, I looked at a parts book and having never seen the bike in real life I'm not sure which cover you're referring to. Covers that I did find seemed to be held on with either obvious-to-the-eye screws and/or rubber dampers. Why don't you visit Max and look for your cover and maybe that will help you in the removal.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

Have fun muddin'!!

Okay, so here's the deal. I finally learned how to accomplish removing the panel on the right side of my wethead, which gives access to the radiator and expansion tank. There are four panel screws, two visible from the outside and two inside of the panel at the front of the bike. Additionally, is a plastic fastener that holds the lower part of the panel to the frame (that's the tricky one). Depress the center dimpled hole and gently pry it out with a flat head screw driver, or any other similar tool. Once that's done, the panel comes completely off giving free access to the aforementioned items.:bow

Okay, so here's the deal. I finally learned how to accomplish removing the panel on the right side of my wethead, which gives access to the radiator and expansion tank. There are four panel screws, two visible from the outside and two inside of the panel at the front of the bike. Additionally, is a plastic fastener that holds the lower part of the panel to the frame (that's the tricky one). Depress the center dimpled hole and gently pry it out with a flat head screw driver, or any other similar tool. Once that's done, the panel comes completely off giving free access to the aforementioned items.:bow

This is great info! That little plastic b*stard baffled me, too, and since I didn't need to be in there, I left it for another day. So, to clarify, I depress the area in the center of the bolt head while at the same time lifting the head with something under it like a thin screwdriver?

You are correct--had that explained to me by one of the BMW mechanics. It's always nice to know how to access things, and deal with issue that may arise while out in the boonies. Enjoy the ride:laugh

You are correct--had that explained to me by one of the BMW mechanics. It's always nice to know how to access things, and deal with issue that may arise while out in the boonies. Enjoy the ride:laugh

Agreed, and thank you so much for posting this VERY useful info! :bow

This is great info! That little plastic b*stard baffled me, too, and since I didn't need to be in there, I left it for another day. So, to clarify, I depress the area in the center of the bolt head while at the same time lifting the head with something under it like a thin screwdriver?

I'm dense. I don't quite understand "press center of head one way while lifting the head the other way". This is a case where a picture might help.

Like you, I haven't needed to get there yet so have ignored the issue. But next week I think will be "wire up electrical farkles" week and will probably need to have most of the plastic (and the tank?) off the bike to figure out my best routing.

Sure do wish the reprom were available.

I'm dense. I don't quite understand "press center of head one way while lifting the head the other way". This is a case where a picture might help.

Like you, I haven't needed to get there yet so have ignored the issue. But next week I think will be "wire up electrical farkles" week and will probably need to have most of the plastic (and the tank?) off the bike to figure out my best routing.

Sure do wish the reprom were available.

It is like a plastic nail with the center drilled out. A second piece lives in the area in the center that was drilled out, and when you push it in, it releases the claws on the outer piece. So, you lift it out as you push the center to release it.

51467002606_1_B.jpg

Hmmm. I got the shrouds off -- part of my "where will I put all the wiring" project. When I pushed on the center it went flying. It took a few minutes but I eventually found it. I was ready for a flying pin when I did the other side... that only meant it didn't fly as far. The center parts on mine don't look or feel like they want to be inserted from the front. I will try to insert from the back until it comes out the front when I get around to re-installing the shroud.

Is that what you guys had to do? :ear

In all other respect the plastic (including the beak) comes off pretty easy. Just way too many pieces/screws. The '05 spoiled me.

Hmmm. I got the shrouds off -- part of my "where will I put all the wiring" project. When I pushed on the center it went flying. It took a few minutes but I eventually found it. I was ready for a flying pin when I did the other side... that only meant it didn't fly as far. The center parts on mine don't look or feel like they want to be inserted from the front. I will try to insert from the back until it comes out the front when I get around to re-installing the shroud.

Is that what you guys had to do? :ear

In all other respect the plastic (including the beak) comes off pretty easy. Just way too many pieces/screws. The '05 spoiled me.

Yeah, the quarter turn fasteners on the 05s were great. As long as you got that lower front inside one set right. :laugh

I haven't dislodged the special plastic one yet, but may do this weekend, if I get around to it.

When I had the side panel off I highlighted the fill level lines with a sharpie marker so that I could see the lines through the view slot. I did the same on the fF650gs too. It is just convenient.

Back