• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1600GTL Menu button on left handle grip not working correctly

krisandarMOA

Had the bike into the dealer for replacement of left side scratched panels.............noticed as I rode it home that the menu button didn't pull up all the functions.
Can't access the GPS or seat and grip heat functions. Checked fuses and looked for loose or unconnected wires, none.
Dealer is 84 miles south will have to return if no one has any suggestions.......................otherwise what a great ride.

Thanks

krisandar:usa

Had the bike into the dealer for replacement of left side scratched panels.............noticed as I rode it home that the menu button didn't pull up all the functions.
Can't access the GPS or seat and grip heat functions. Checked fuses and looked for loose or unconnected wires, none.
Dealer is 84 miles south will have to return if no one has any suggestions.......................otherwise what a great ride.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum! I recently had an episode on my F800GS where the button was stuck down. I don't know why but as I never change it, it took me a while to figure out. With a shot of Tri-Flow, good to go.
OM

Thanks

When you say can't access gps or heat... can you scroll through the menus and then the rotating switch does not work.
But does work on other menus?

When you say can't access gps or heat... can you scroll through the menus and then the rotating switch does not work.
But does work on other menus?

The grey button that has menu printed on it act as follows...............press down for menu, nothing..............press up for favorite and the screen comes up for fuel consumption, temp, tire pressure etc. the screens for heat, ride profile, radio operation etc don't come on............dealer thinks it's the button cluster, I don't think so................of course there aren't any replacements in the US or Germany at this time Big $$$$ for this bike and it's a 1 Mark button that's screwing up the bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,go figure.:banghead

Still no replacement left hand switch module

The grey button that has menu printed on it act as follows...............press down for menu, nothing..............press up for favorite and the screen comes up for fuel consumption, temp, tire pressure etc. the screens for heat, ride profile, radio operation etc don't come on............dealer thinks it's the button cluster, I don't think so................of course there aren't any replacements in the US or Germany at this time Big $$$$ for this bike and it's a 1 Mark button that's screwing up the bike,,,,,,,,,,,,,go figure.:banghead

HOW CAN A COMPANY LIKE BMW NOT HAVE A SUPPLY OF REPLACEMENT PARTS IN GERMANY OR THE US..............ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY KNOW FULL WELL THEY'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THOSE SPECIFIC PARTS BREAKING DOWN............:scratch........:hungover...........:banghead

HOW CAN A COMPANY LIKE BMW NOT HAVE A SUPPLY OF REPLACEMENT PARTS IN GERMANY OR THE US..............ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY KNOW FULL WELL THEY'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THOSE SPECIFIC PARTS BREAKING DOWN............:scratch........:hungover...........:banghead

Sent the following to BMW...........of course NO RESPONSE

BMW Motorcycles

I bought a new 2013 K1600GTL a few months ago..............3 weeks ago the left hand menu button on the left side of the handlebar stopped working correctly and does not appear to be operating if at all.

I am unable to use the radio, the suspension selection system, the heated seat/hand grip etc. When the menu button is pressed nothing happens, or the computer display just blinks.

My dealer, Second Wind BMW advises that there are no repair/replacement parts in the US or Germany.

I AM AT THE POINT OF PLACING PICTURES OF THIS BIKE AND THE ABOVE INFORMATION ON EVERY AND ANY FORUM AVAILABLE TO ME. Clearly I can't ride a $27,000.00 machine that has faulty non operating electronics. This machine would probably fall under the State of New Hampshire Lemon Law.

Any help from BMW Motorcycles would be appreciated.

Thank you

Do each and every K1600 owner a favor and please let us know who you actually talk to at BMWNA about your problems. It would be nice to have some names of contact individuals. Good luck!!!

Rick

Do each and every K1600 owner a favor and please let us know who you actually talk to at BMWNA about your problems. It would be nice to have some names of contact individuals. Good luck!!!

Rick
BMW Motorrad USA RESPONSE...............................................................................................................................................................

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA.

Your inquiry has been forwarded to Molly at 1-800-831-1117, extension 8413. She is currently researching your inquiry and will be in contact with you shortly to assist you further.

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Regards,

Leanne Robinson
BMW Motorrad USA
...............................................................................................................................................................................................

I spoke with Ms Mollie Durgan(sic)@ BMW Motorrad..........they know that A: there is a problem with the switch, :cry
B: they need to be replaced,
C: there aren't any in the supply chain at this time, :cry
D: replacement switches ( the checks in the mail :laugh) are coming (unable to say when).

My issue with this switch is as follows: 1: the switch isn't working correctly,
2: I can't adjust the suspension, radio, none of the multiple window displays come up, etc,
3: the one screen that will display is now blinking/flickering intermittently as I ride.
4: I advised that this is not merely an inconvenience, It is a SAFETY PROBLEM

I think she agrees that IT IS A SAFETY PROBLEM in as much as the SUSPENSION RIDE CONTROL IS COMPROMISED AND INOPERABLE ANDMIGHT CHANGE AS THE BIKE IS BEING RIDDEN , and there is no excuse for a brand new K1600GTL to be inoperable and being unable to be ridden safely because of a switch cluster malfunction. This $ 355.00 switch cluster has been upgraded/re-engineered 3 times and it is still not right. Personally I believe there is a moisture problem getting into the switch shell, corroding the multiple contacts within the shell cover.

We discussed remedies for this situation.......... $ compensation regarding some finance payments being wavered for being unable to ride it (negative, I paid cash/no payments) Replacement with another bike ...........maybe, but it will have the same miss-engineered switch. She was going to contact my dealer (who by the way has been SUPER AND MOST HELPFUL ) and get back to me, I'll wait until Wednesday and then contact her again via email and telephone.

As a six BMW bike owner since 1966 (interspersed with HDs) I am clearly frustrated, disappointed, and surprised that BMW who has known of this problem since 2011, has not corrected it.............

I'm sure the problem would qualify for State Lemon Law consideration and federal examination........................TIME (short ) WILL TELL:bow:bow:bow:bow:banghead:banghead:banghead

Button replaced by BMW........last 3 digits of the part # are 409 this is a recent superseded switch aka latest replacement..........working fine AT THE MOMENT :dance............I hope.

Button replaced by BMW........last 3 digits of the part # are 409 this is a recent superseded switch aka latest replacement..........working fine AT THE MOMENT :dance............I hope.

So KrisandarMOA, from what I can see in your replies it took almost a month and a half to repair your K1600? Is that correct?

Rick

So KrisandarMOA, from what I can see in your replies it took almost a month and a half to repair your K1600? Is that correct?

Rick

You are quite right 1&1/2 months.................lots of crapped out switch clusters, not that many in the the supply line...............also, it's about a 4 hour job to replace it...............all the front, tank plastic has to be removed so the wire can be routed..........over engineering at it's best. :hungover:thumb:banghead

I feel your frustration with having to wait a month and a half for a simple switch replacement. It would be nice if we always had a loaner bike when ours was in the shop or that we were reimbursed for lost riding time.

Rick

recall maybe???

sounds like this should be addressed with a recall...any chance that will happen? How many cases have to happen in order for that to happen???

Now theright hand starter switch is inoperable.............BMW WHAT A DISASTER

First the 6+ week wait for a replacement left cluster switch, now the right hand starter switch is kaput as in not working/starting the bike............BMW MOTORRAD, WHAT A DISAPPOINTING LETDOWN.............LESS THEN 3K ON THE BIKE.:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

Maybe thiswill get their attention

BMW MOTORRAD

Well, after a 6 week wait ( no riding) for a replacement left hand cluster switch, the switch was replaced and worked fine.
THE BIKE WILL NOW NOT START BECAUSE THE STARTER SWITCH IS INOPERABLE...... I am awaiting a new switch from BMW, and of course again I am unable to ride it.
Frankly, if I have another problem with this bike I will seek to have it declared a LEMON under New Hampshire"s LEMON LAW.

Thank you

EJ H

:bikes

Last edited:
Back