• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacement clamps for exhaust nuts on 1986 R80RT

PeoriaMac

Anyone out there ever use the V-2 Airhead Exhaust Clamp mounts made in Germany and sold by Nick's BMW?
I have a badly bunged right exhaust thread on my '86 R80. James A. (Woodensteel) spent about two hours today with tiny files trying to bring it back to a semblence of stock, but it may not be possible. He's willing to try, and I only had to feed him and ply him with lunch to get him to return, but it may be hopeless...and I'm looking for a plan B.

Here's what I'm talking about http://www.nicksbmw.com/nuts.html

Was in a similar situation with my R65LS - I looked at what you're looking at and decided I prefer the OEM look. There are some shops that will fabricate new threads on your cylinder head - if you need a resource send me a PM.

In my case, I found a used head on ebay motors in good shape - my machinist did a minor valve job & cleaned it up - it's worked out great.

Was in a similar situation with my R65LS - I looked at what you're looking at and decided I prefer the OEM look. There are some shops that will fabricate new threads on your cylinder head - if you need a resource send me a PM.

In my case, I found a used head on ebay motors in good shape - my machinist did a minor valve job & cleaned it up - it's worked out great.

As it turns out, plan A worked. That would be James A working for about two hours with tiny files creating good threads where bad ones
previous lurked. Result was today we buttoned the bike back up and took it for a ride. Now it's for sale....

Since Mr A won't be included in the sale make sure you include a thread file in the tool kit...
icon_wink.gif

r65-exhaust-collar.jpg
metric-thread-file.jpg

[QUOTE= Since Mr A won't be included in the sale make sure you include a thread file in the tool kit...

Hmmm, perhaps. I will be more open to any buyer about the need to keep anti-sieze on the exhaust threads. Good thing I checked...otherwise
some new owner would be on this forum taking my name in vain. I ALMOST don't want to sell it, but I can't keep in James' garage and
pretend I sold it. Or can I?

I haven't seen him in a while, but I will always consider Mr. James A. S. my airhead mentor and life-long friend. What a resource he is! A respectable dude with a plethora of knowledge and passion about our beloved airheads.. much more so than the better-known names in the field.

A thread file is a must in these situations. I buggered up a few threads on my right head. A thread file worked great to restore the threads to a usable condition.

Here's a quick search of thread files:

Jeff, I did not know there was such a thing as a thread file. In this case, I dressed the threads free-hand using a set called "needle files" of various profiles. The true challenge was getting the take-up groove started. I cut a slight bevel around the perimeter of the outlet and drug the micro-file counter clockwise thru what was left of the thread valley until it met the bevel. Then working clockwise around the outlet to clean up the bottoms of the grooves. There was evidence to suggest that someone in the ownership history knew that this was going on.

C D D: thanks for the kind words, my friend. I'm sure we will cross paths again.

Mac: You wanna place to hide a bike?... I can find a place to hide a bike..... gimme a couple of days.

Lew: While I can't be bought, I can be had.....

I know the feeling James, I've been had more than few times myself ....
icon_wink.gif

My /5s right cylinder exhaust threads are nearing their useful life; they might last another year or so; it's not like you loosen the nut that frequently. In the past when I have had the headers off I always make a few light passes with a thread file to kind of clean things up a bit; it does a great job of cleaning harden anti-seize, dirt, etc. out of the grooves.

Might as well buy an SAE file when you pick up the metric one.

The true challenge was getting the take-up groove started.

Easy work with a thread file ... you start from the "back" (near the head), or anywhere you can find a bit of remaining good thread, and work your way to the end. The last bit is done on the "backstroke". A cool tool Jule.

In the past when I have had the headers off I always make a few light passes with a thread file to kind of clean things up a bit; it does a great job of cleaning harden anti-seize, dirt, etc. out of the grooves.

I've found that WD40 and the exhaust nut work very well to clean the threads up. I spray a liberal amount of WD40 on the threads and move the nut back and forth. After about a half dozen passes, I remove the nut and wipe dry. Just put something on ground to catch the mixture of WD40 and anti-seize paste.

Back