Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New R12R is waiting for Me !

So now where do you take it for your first service ?.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    So now where do you take it for your first service ?.
    Any BMW motorcycle dealership will service the motorcycle. That is part and parcel of why they are an authorized dealer, regardless if they sold the unit or not PERIOD And if they harbor negative "feelings" about a once potential customer going elsewhere, they need to get over it. Perhaps next time they'll be able to provide what this customer needed.
    Last edited by Motodan; 07-14-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    MOA #46783
    2015 R1200RT

Right any BMW dealer will do service, but in Cincinnati we are not blessed with a dealership. But we have the next best thing. Cadre Cycle which is run by the former BMW dealership tech guys. They just call BMW and get the authorization to do the manufacture required recalls etc. All routine service is no problem and done at much less cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradkap View Post
    They just call BMW and get the authorization to do the manufacture required recalls etc.
    I've never heard of BMWNA doing this. Do you mean they'd actually pay the non-dealer to do this work?
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Any BMW motorcycle dealership will service the motorcycle. That is part and parcel of why they are an authorized dealer, regardless if they sold the unit or not PERIOD And if they harbor negative "feelings" about a once potential customer going elsewhere, they need to get over it. Perhaps next time they'll be able to provide what this customer needed.
    And I can guarantee that your new bike will be at the bottom of the list that gets it's service. In other words it might sit at the dealer for a few weeks if they are busy working on the bikes that they sold before they work on it & I don't blame them one bit. There are some dealers that won't even install tires on bikes that they didn't sell.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

And I can guarantee that your new bike will be at the bottom of the list that gets it's service...
    I can relate that is not the way the BMW dealers I have had service work performed at operate. Schlossmann's BMW of Milwaukee gives exceptional service on my BMW that I didn't purchase from them, I had Baton Rouge BMW perform repair work, exceptionally, while I was on a road trip and the rear ESA shock failed, I had 6K service performed at San Jose Costa Rica, all dealerships provided exceptional service. Does it really make any economical sense not to provide service on motos that weren't purchased at the specific dealership? I think they are all in to make a profit on service work whether or not the bike was purchased there.

Just my 2 cents...
    Dick
    R1200GS '08
    "Hey, where you goin'?" "Nowhere in particular." "Man, I wish I was you." "Well, Hang in there..."

GREAT BUYING EXPERIENCE AT MAX BMW !

Thank you Craig, Gregg and Ben.

I will be back !
    Enjoy your new ride!!!
    Dick
    R1200GS '08
    "Hey, where you goin'?" "Nowhere in particular." "Man, I wish I was you." "Well, Hang in there..."

BMW Rider
    And I can guarantee that your new bike will be at the bottom of the list that gets it's service. In other words it might sit at the dealer for a few weeks if they are busy working on the bikes that they sold before they work on it & I don't blame them one bit. There are some dealers that won't even install tires on bikes that they didn't sell.
    That would be pretty childish. I've never made someone wait due to where the bike was purchased. And, I doubt there would be dealers to any degree who would handle it differently.

Had an incident one time where a traveler broke down and he happened to get the bike into our store shortly before a local customer scheduled appointment. When the appointment showed up on time we shuffled the traveler back a time slot because the local said his appointment time was important to him due to a busy work schedule. The traveler was annoyed because he felt we should take take care of his bike first because he was a traveler. I gave the spot to the local because the local didn't want to give up his time slot and he had showed up on time.

Although a local purchase might receive some type of benefit as the need arises first come, first serve is viewed as a fair system to most of us I assume. And, appointments kept in a timely manner fall into that logic as well.

It would be childish...but it happens. People do irrational things.

I'm an atty, now retired. I've represented several motorcycle dealers, BMWs and other brands. Once, when I was ready to buy a new bike, my client didn't have what I wanted and wasn't much interested in finding it. I ended up buying from another dealer who had what I wanted right on the floor. My client was angry, and showed it, and made it clear I was unwelcome at his business. He thus lost all the continuing maintenance, service, and tires that I would happily have bought from him, as he was a lot closer than the selling dealer.

My wife's Rule of Life #4 is: Some things cannot be understood.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quoting Charlie Brown: Good Grief! What started out as a celebration of getting a new bike and could have been a thread about the early days of ownership is now is being hijacked and turned into a rant about dealers pro and con.

Where's the joy guys?

Hey Bradkap: Glad you made the deal and good luck. I hope you enjoy your R1200R as much as I have my R1150R!
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post

Quoting Charlie Brown: Good Grief! What started out as a celebration of getting a new bike and could have been a thread about the early days of ownership is now is being hijacked and turned into a rant about dealers pro and con.

Where's the joy guys?
    +1

Right? Hmmm, acting like they are suffering from PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome).
    2012 R1200RT - Fluid Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ride View Post
    +1

Right? Hmmm, acting like they are suffering from PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome).

+2

There's good dealers and bad dealers. The bad ones eventually get what they deserve by way of word of mouth- or internet!

But what I find incredible is that you "don't blame them one bit" if they let a non-buyers bike sit for a few weeks! Really? That's just the kind of nastiness that sends people runing from a dealer like that.
    Really nice way to rain on someone's parade saddleman.

There are some dealers that won't even install tires on bikes that they didn't sell.
    Please let us all know who these dealers are, so that we don't rely on them when we are travelling. I just had a rear tire replaced 700 miles from home on my last trip. I'm glad I didn't run into one of these dealers.

Who are the dealers you know of that won't replace tires on bikes purchased elsewhere, Saddleman?
    2014 R1200GS
    Ex-2007 R1200R
    Ex-1988 K75S
    Ex-1980 R100S, 70's UJMs, 2010 Ducati M1100

Right any BMW dealer will do service, but in Cincinnati we are not blessed with a dealership. But we have the next best thing. Cadre Cycle which is run by the former BMW dealership tech guys. They just call BMW and get the authorization to do the manufacture required recalls etc. All routine service is no problem and done at much less cost.

Congrats on the new ride.
    Cincinnati?
    Look forward to see the new bike.
    www.gcbmwc.org