• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1990 K75s - tire recommendations ?

jwetering

I've had my K75s for two years now and have put 18K miles on it in that time. Mostly commuting, but lot's of short hops and burns around the town and on one or two day highway trips. I never ride two-up and usually ride with a few things in my side bags.

The bike has had Battleax BT45 installed for the entire time and I've been through two sets now. I know I'm swimming against the stream here but I don't think I like them.

In both cases the front tire was replaced because it was badly cupped, and that was the case with my first rear as well. The second rear tire just popped on me, leaving me stranded. It was worn down fairly well, but nowhere near corded. It's not clear yet why it popped, I haven't had a chance to take a close look yet. A brief look showed nothing extraordinary.

Anyway - If I'm going to switch tires this is the time to do it. My third front tire is cupped again anyway.

I'm thinking Metzler Lasertechs - but I'm quite open to suggestions.

Thanks guys.

I use Bridgestone Spitfires. I ran Battlaxes and found they handled well but wore fast. I then tried Metzler 88s and the wore well, but the front wobbled after a short time. The Spitires wear well and are smooth.

My four BMW's are now all running Michelin. I have used Metzler ME33/ME55 (lasertech) in the past on my K100RS with no problems as well. Just put a set of Pilot Activ on K100 wheels yesterday, getting ready to replace the previous Michelins that have about 18,000 kms. I have also used Bridgestones, Yokohamas and Avons on the K100RS in the past and haven't had any real problems with any of them. I have used Continental and Metzlers on my R1200GSA and liked the Continentals on the pavement but not so much in the gravel. The only serious problem that I have had with tires was with a set of Shinkos that I had on my R100GSPD. The rear tire started to delaminate at about 7000 kms. This was just after Shinko bought Yokohama's motorcycle tire business and was their first venture into dual sport tires. Generally I like the grip of the Michelins in the wet so I seem to be gravitating towards their product on all vehicles. It's hard to come to a firm conclusion as to "the best" because the manufacturers are constantly updating their product even though the name stays the same. I had three ME33's on my K100 in a row and first one outlasted two rears, the next one was worn out after one rear and the third one was done before the rear was to the wear bars. Each rear lasted about the same as the previous 16,000 to 18,000 kms. Since the Pilot Activ is a new tire I guess I will know if I like them in a few months and know how they wear in a year or so.

I also agree that the BT45's wear faster than I'd like.

Next set of tires for the K75s will probably be Michelin - just put a set on my wife's RX350 and I really like them. Used to run them on my Volvo 122s and really liked them.

Michelin is a good brand and I've had good luck with their tires.

I installed the BT45's about 5k ago, still original front tire in pretty decent shape. Have my second rear tire and it's starting to wear - I notice when the Battalax start to wear out, they wear out pretty quickly.

I've had my K75s for two years now and have put 18K miles on it in that time. Mostly commuting, but lot's of short hops and burns around the town and on one or two day highway trips. I never ride two-up and usually ride with a few things in my side bags.

The bike has had Battleax BT45 installed for the entire time and I've been through two sets now. I know I'm swimming against the stream here but I don't think I like them.

In both cases the front tire was replaced because it was badly cupped, and that was the case with my first rear as well. The second rear tire just popped on me, leaving me stranded. It was worn down fairly well, but nowhere near corded. It's not clear yet why it popped, I haven't had a chance to take a close look yet. A brief look showed nothing extraordinary.

Anyway - If I'm going to switch tires this is the time to do it. My third front tire is cupped again anyway.

I'm thinking Metzler Lasertechs - but I'm quite open to suggestions.

Thanks guys.

I love the BT45's. I have a set on one of my K75s, and they compare very favorably to the Dunlop radials on my K75S. I ride both bikes very aggressively and find the BT45 the best handling bias ply tire I've ever used. I'm on my second BT45 rear and the same front, and they are wearing perfectly. What kind of tire pressures are you running vs. the book listings?

However, there are a lot of good tires now, and many will last longer (although cost more) than the BT45s.

K75s tire recommendations

Went to AM26 RoadRider Avons after THIRD Metzeler ME 88 had splits down in the lowest part of the treads. Last one was w/ less than 2,500 mi. Metzeler denied replacement. No more Metzelers for me. Pity too, because they used to be good tires. Germans never admit their mistakes. On a new set of Avons touring at the moment. Last tire was an AM26 RoadRider was 9,262 mi. on a rear. Two up and loaded 40% of time. Cupped on the sides, which was a first for me on the rear. Acceptable tire for me at $135 for a rear and $115 for a front. Charlie

Last edited:
went through lots of lazartecs, good tire but the blocks wear faster on the backside. Decide to try Spitfires because I could get them amazingly cheap. Pleasantly surprised by how good they are, though I only have a couple thousand on 'em

Hi Jasper,

I too am a dedicated Spitfire tire user. I've gone through five sets and they are adequate for my riding habits. I've tried the BT45's and they do handle better. If handling is your priority then you can't go wrong with the BT45. Spitfires will last longer and do not cup (the BT's did on my K75C). I haven't had a problem with the Spitfires in rain, but again I ride pretty cautiously.

My mileage range for the Spitfire is 7K to 10K.

Pete

I like the Michelin Pilot Activ. I ride rather gently so ultimate handling is not my big concern. I am more interested in mileage. I hate changing tires. My rear Michelin went 10,000 before I changed it. My front has 14,000 on it and will probably go another 1,000. The wear pattern on the front is very good with almost no cupping. Still handles well with no front shake like the Continental Conti Go did. I mount and balance my own tires and the Michelins can be difficult to get the beads seated on the rim. Lots of good tire lube and a little more air pressure than it would normally take.

Thanks for all of the suggestion gents. I ended up buying an Avon AM26 Roadrider because of price and availability.

We'll see how it goes.

Back