Thread: Can someone please tell me what this plugs into?

Can someone please tell me what this plugs into?

Attached to the negative and positive poles of the battery on my newly purchased 2011 R1200RT (I'm the second owner) is a fused (20 amp) cable. Here are some photos of it.

Name:  cable1.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  cable2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  22.9 KB

Name:  cable3.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  125.2 KB

Can anyone tell me specifically what this is for? I'm guessing a heated vest or something along that line. The excess cable is bound to the frame with an "Ortronics" hook and loop strip. I realize that the Velcro band may not be related to the product.

Connector for heated gear. Can also be used for a battery charger if your charger has a coaxial adapter.
    Here's what a SAE to Coaxial cable looks like if you need one for a battery charger, air pump, ect.
    Most heated gear has the coaxial end.

http://www.powerlet.com/product/coax...o-sae-cable/54

Welcome to the MOA forum.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

It's not a BMW part
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

WOW! that was quick!

Thanks, Lee, for all the info. I have a heated vest that's about 20 years old but it has two contacts that are the same, not one for positive and negative. I guess with that older technology it didn't make any difference which way the warming electrons ran.

Also many thanks for including the link. I thought I was going to have to hook up new leads for my Battery Tender, but now I see that I can use the one that's already on there.

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    It's not a BMW part
    No, but it works with Gerbing or Warm n Safe heated clothing and Detran (Battery Tender) brand and other battery chargers.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdood View Post
    I have a heated vest that's about 20 years old but it has two contacts that are the same, not one for positive and negative.
    That sounds like Widder and it will probably be hard to find a cable that will work for you.
    It will look like this

It might be easier to treat yourself to a new heated jacket liner
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

It wouldn't be too hard or expensive to change the connector on the old heated liner to match the new style connector. Polarity on heated clothing does not matter.
    Paul
    Stop wrestling with your motorcycle, dance with it.
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    It wouldn't be too hard or expensive to change the connector on the old heated liner to match the new style connector. Polarity on heated clothing does not matter.
    True for the garment. True for an on-off switch. Unless a pure rheostat (variable resistor) probably not true for a controller.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    You mean I can't just reverse the polarity on my Gerbing and have it get colder during the summer???

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beemerdood View Post
    WOW! that was quick!

Thanks, Lee, for all the info. I have a heated vest that's about 20 years old but it has two contacts that are the same, not one for positive and negative. I guess with that older technology it didn't make any difference which way the warming electrons ran.

Also many thanks for including the link. I thought I was going to have to hook up new leads for my Battery Tender, but now I see that I can use the one that's already on there.
    Welcome to the forum!
    It's a good group that has seen a lot of things
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thanks for the welcomes. I have a "spin off" question now. The fuse that's on the coax cable is a 20 amp, I understand that heated clothing takes various size fuses, depending on the brand and how many pieces of clothing are put into the system.

The Battery Tender that I'm going to use has a 7.5 amp fuse.

What's the best way, perhaps I mean "elegant or proper" way to set it up so that I can use the Battery Tender and heated clothing?

I think that wiring new leads into the battery with the SAE fitting (and the 7.5 amp fuse), AND keeping the coax fitting for when and if I get around to getting some heated clothing, is the best way. (That is, I'd have two types of connectors present, one for each type of accessory). That way, using each connector for the appropriate item will ensure that the proper fuse is in place for each of them.

What say you folks?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry about it. I just took a look, but can't find, my Gerbing info. As I remember, the Gerbing controller and wiring came with an assortment of fuses. The recommended fuse size had a relationship to whether you were running a vest, jacket, gloves, pants or a combination of all of the heated clothing. 20A was the fuse for the full compliment of heated gear.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200