Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official MOA RV thread...

Ya know....I'm slowly changing my opinion on the whole RV issue. A few years before my dad passed, he was talking about buying one. We were thankful that he didn't as it would have been one more thing we were "stuck" with. But in the past two years, we've spent time with several friends who own them and I'm starting to see the light. While I much prefer to ride to my destination, I definitely see the benefit of RVing. We are already making arrangements to borrow one to head to Tennessee during the unpredictable weather in March for March Moto Madness.

Great thread, Gary!

One of the coolest setups is the Airstream Basecamp.
    You can even attach a tent to it as well as trailer your bike.

You know.... when we get older!

I'm almost there!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Thanks Tracy, If you are looking for one- I can suggest a few things. Look for one that is really clean on the outside, really check the roof, then the rest of the "pieces". There are only 2 major component manufactures of what goes in a rig (fridge, hot water heater, heat, water-pump and so on) so the components are mostly interchangeable. Sleeps the most- Class C also hard(er) to work on engine parts like an exhaust manifold. Sleeps the least- Class A. The Class B's and especially the newer B's are a whole new world with the chassis now offered.

If you go towable, you really want the tow vehicle to over-power and be able to tow the trailer with ease- or chances are the tail will wag the dog.
    Find one where when you walk in it hits you as being right and then go sit in the bathroom and see what you think.

As for brands, I don't know what to tell you, try to remember that they all use the same components and look more towards what appears to be "better construction" or at least better put together. The Massive IRV2 forum http://www.irv2.com/forums/ can be of some help.
    I bought a brand new Winnebago and have had to go through every system with less than stellar help from Winnebago and what turned out to be a very, very weak dealer.
    Good luck and if you or any of the members have questions, I'm happy to assist.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    I don't have a picture handy, but it has a queen sized bed with RED quilt and cabinets above our feet for storing lots of stuff.

Similar to this:
    http://hushardsrv.com/trailers/type/...y-6-wide-sport

Voni
    sMiling
    I'll top that one, our "T@B Trailer" is bigger than yours Little Guy" Ha! Has "blue" "Kentucky" in script across the back & a queen bed with kitchen too.
    They weigh them @ the factory & the scale person signs off on the weight at the front door-I thinks ours is like 1,524#'s . It has been feeling neglected lately, fall trip coming up!

We use it with the OEM awning that attaches to the front in an arc the a tarp over to a screen room . Quite an impressive "complex".
    For pics see: T@B trailers-they're cute!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Here is my .02$ worth in camping. Start small and then buy bigger because if you don't like it then the large ones (driving one) are harder to get rid of.

Towing vs. driving. If you drive one then you will need a vehicle once you get to the camp ground. Driving ones are fun because if you have children your vacation starts when you leave the driveway.

I have found a RV doctor that comes to the house to fix the camper. Little things will go wrong unless your good and can do it yourself.

If you have childred, get one with bunk beds. That way the children have place to store their "junk" and you don't have to make beds. Which we are doing now and if we could do it over again, it be bunk beds.
    Ditto, good thread.
    John
    2004 BMW R1150R Black
    Contact me 4 (1&1) training, Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction

Here's our rig in our driveway, ready to take off. I'm trying to figure out a way to take the RS. One of the disadvantages of a fifth wheel. It's legal to tow a trailer behind a fiver in most western states so a small trailer might be a solution.

IMG_0199.jpg
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

I am in the same boat, wife doesn't like long rides but loves being a passenger. We both like the comfort of the RV, and satellite tv . Ours is a 26' Winnebago Sightseerer with 2 slides. This motorhome is a dream to drive and easy to get around in as it has a tighter turning radius than my shortbox crewcab superduty. Had bikes for years but they went away when kids showed up and I am now getting back into riding and started with a G650GS but quickly discovered that my wife loved being a passenger and the 650 just didn't cut it and we just upgraded to. 2013 1200GS WC.

We spend a lot of time at Lake Shasta in CA but was bored in the evenings so I built a lift to carry the bike as the boat trailer has a long tongue, that way we can enjoy evening rides. Just yesterday I picked up a 6x10 enclosed trailer for when we don't have the boat plus we can throw in the kayaks. We have many trips planned for next year and we can't wait!

When we started traveling with our son to motocross races across the country, we bought an RV... momma was getting *really* tired of the pit toilets at the track.

Man, what a way to travel... assuming $1.50/gallon gas. These days, it is still nice to have, but very expensive to do, until you consider the cost of motels. We camp in Wal-Mart parking lots, they're free.

Then, of course, there's the whole "what kind of lame-o are you, trailering your bike and not sleeping in a tent" thing.

Well... after getting turned around on Schofield pass because it was too rough for my GS with the 200 pounds of gear I was carrying, as well as 800 miles of 100 degree temps in Ooooooooooooooohklahoma earlier this week, it came to me that I'd rather ride a smaller/lighter bike and camp in greater comfort.

As others have mentioned above, putting your RV in the center of really good riding and then going out on multiple loops over multiple days is a great way to have a good time.

So good that I am considering selling my BMWs and getting myself some Honda dirt bikes.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    Ya know....I'm slowly changing my opinion on the whole RV issue. A few years before my dad passed, he was talking about buying one. We were thankful that he didn't as it would have been one more thing we were "stuck" with. But in the past two years, we've spent time with several friends who own them and I'm starting to see the light. While I much prefer to ride to my destination, I definitely see the benefit of RVing. We are already making arrangements to borrow one to head to Tennessee during the unpredictable weather in March for March Moto Madness.

Great thread, Gary!
    Ya know, as an "older person" if I spent my time worrying about all the stuff my kids will get "stuck with when I die" as you say, my activity level would go down immensely. If I were to know even just the exact year I was to die I suppose I could arrange for a simple departure that asked nothing of my children or (younger) spouse, how nice that is...but somewhat unlikely,huh?
    In the meantime it's life full on!!! MC's & all!!!
    One must live their life as it fits their needs & in respect of others too. Not picking on you, necessarily,just making the point that other than perhaps "having ones affairs in order" , such as living will & the like, you just live your life. I've been there , done that, when my parents died & it's simply part of being in a family. "RV" as can be seen in this thread does not have to mean a $200k behemoth.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

The best size MH

I have had 6, the best all around was a 24 ft Coachmen Leprechan (1996 Ford 460 chassis). It fit in any campground , hookups or primative, had a REAL bumper that held my DRZ 400. I got caught up in the biggger is better syndrome for awhile but am now MH free, no more taking care of 2 houses. Old motorhome adage- 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner and 2 for overnite. Corp of Engineers in my state uses any and all excuses to open the campgrounds later in the year and close them eariler ( April 15 toLabor Day) and promote only those closest to their regional office. Anybody ever heard of Bolding Mill Campground on Lake Lanier (Georgia)? Well, if the Corps has its way you probably never will. Ah you hit my hot button, oil threads ain't nothing.
    Sam

popup
    pickup
    08GS
    Skeeter ZX 200

On the closed campground note-I have been looking for places online for a fall trip/Oct to New England & Quebec/Ontario & camps are mostly closed-what happened to fall leaf watching up there? Is it about the govmts. $ or gas price or what?

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    On the closed campground note-I have been looking for places online for a fall trip/Oct to New England & Quebec/Ontario & camps are mostly closed-what happened to fall leaf watching up there? Is it about the govmts. $ or gas price or what?
    The New England mentality is rather screwed up on recreation and many think of things as "seasonal". An example would be when the snow would be the best of the whole season in April- except around here people have moved on to April activities. This is why it has been reasoned that a spot in a campground costs a lot more up here- the campgrounds only have 3.5 months to cover a whole years expenses.
    Ther are some places open late but you need to be a bit creative.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    All states and the federal gov't are under pressure to lower staff costs. Limiting park seasons, limits staff requirements and avoids maintenance issues like frozen pipes.

The poster complaining about USACOE camping restrictions was a bit ironic in a day of mandatory furloughs for many departments of DoD.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Toy Hauler

Hey John,

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you as far as the wife on long rides. We are currently looking for a toy hauler to tote the 2011 RT around with. If you don't mind, what kind of hualer do you have and what are you pulling it with? It will just be the two of us and possibly two cats (if we must). And if you would have done anything different feel free to share.
    Eric
    2011 R1200 RT (1st Beemer)
    "Hey guys, watch this!"

Raspberry waffles Bob!!! kewlmoose's Avatar
    This may be a dumb question but can anyone point me towards a class 'c' size motorhome that is capable of hauling an RT class bike? That might make it possible for me to get my wife to attend some of the larger rallies with me. I'd rather not tow a trailer. Thanks!

Sent magically!
    82 R65LS - gone but not forgotten
    02 R1150RT
    "Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw"
    "I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart."