• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just replaced the fabric on the roll out awning on our hauler...time was not kind. NOT a one person job.:eek

Just replaced the fabric on the roll out awning on our hauler...time was not kind. NOT a one person job.:eek
Yeah, that's a tricky one. That's coming on mine, depending on how it goes, I may make one out of Sunbrella for the replacement. I have done the spring on the awning and the fabric on the slide-out on mine so far.
OM

end of year bump

I know some have stored and winterized their bikes and RV's. But a bump anyways.
Any new owners or ponderers ? Fun or unexpected repairs lately? Upgrading or downsizing?

We are eyeballing low diesel prices ( $1.78 last week) and minimum crowds ...except for the Winter Texans:wave May have to make a few runs in the next few weeks with the Toy Hauler. We had planned on a few bike camping trips as well, but dog sitting is a pain to set up...and we like to take the dogs this time of year anyways:dog

Our last West TX trip in April had us needing a water pump in the '03 Dodge on the home run in the middle of minimal services. ..couldn't hook the GSA up to pull the rig home on that one...dangit! :banghead

Missed our annual NW Arkansas trip this year...sometimes as late as the week of Thanksgiving, but usually during leaf color peak. Typically a sweet park for a week in the center of many a ride in any direction...and only a days run from home:thumb

We can still ride here- as strange as it seems. It's about 42* now with a record breaking 65* on Thursday :thumb
At the club breakfast this morning, there were 14 or so bikes, some from 2 hours away. I took my '03 Dodge diesel as I wasn't up for a suit up and the truck needed a run.
My motorhome is winterized but there is plenty of odds and ends maintenance to do. I'm still having random brakes getting hot in stop and go or hilly terrain and I have done everything to fix the issue.
It's nice to be able to take the dog(s) when you travel.
Best I've seen on diesel around here is $2.16/gal at I place that I don't normally use. The place I normally use was $2.50/gal- that's a big difference.
Anybody travel with pets/generator and leave the air on for them? It's supposed to be alright and I have it on for me but I can do something if something goes wrong.
Gary

Best of both worlds...

Here is our 2012 Nexus Phantom 23P (24') Class C, with the 87 R80 RT snug in its trailer ready for another adventure.

My days of sleeping in a tent on the ground have been history for several decades but this combo is pretty close to perfect for us. All of the comforts of home with a classic airhead for a Toad (more of a Prince actually). We towed the bike a little over 5,000 miles last summer spending 3 weeks in the Rockies and another 3 weeks in northern California. Found lots of great roads to ride on both trips. Works for me!

Here is another shot taken in Ouray Colorado:

:dance

Real nice Steve :thumb

I'm running something similar- It's a great way to travel.
OM

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 460
Every couple of years, if we can find a hired hand that is trustworthy, we head out to parts unknown for a couple of months in search of the ever elusive:

Attachments

• Trailer at Bluff.jpg
    Trailer at Bluff.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 440
Val and I are on our third RV. We love the compact size of our current one, we can get into almost any site. It has enough room for us both. I pull it with a full size pickup so I could put a bike in the bed but I leave the BMW at home and find I don't miss it. We get away once a month for short trips and sprinkle in a few long ones each year. We prefer primitive type camp grounds, boon-docking style for us.

i-WDKfjPz.jpg

We call this our starter kit. Both of us have used or owned larger rigs, yet this one fits in a lot of smaller spots and works well for now. Doesn't have onboard power so no total offline unless that just happens.
Sometimes a week or two, both bikes typically and sometimes just bicycles and/or kayaks...and the dogs always.
20150118_093757.jpg

This was last January along TX coast amongst the Winterin' majority from da north

Sport tent

We bought a Sport Tent several years ago and it suits our needs. We can haul two large bikes in the back of the 8' bed on the Chevy 2500, plus all our gear.

I bought a custom mattress for it which leaves us with 4 foot at the end of the bed for the toilet. We usually travel with our dogs and they love it. The Duramax gets 20 MPG and is comfortable. No trailer; just long ramps for loading.

This was taken at the BMWRA in the Ozarks,

IMG_2228.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

P1000591-L.jpg

That is quite the rig.

Rv

20150918_113617.jpg This works for me! Have all the camping gear for the bike but!!!. Started riding when I was 16 and bought my first new bike. Had a bunch of rvs. 5th wheels toy haulers diesel pushers. We down sized to this C. The aluminuim trailer works great 650 pounds 3500 pound axel. I can get 3 bikes on it or a sidexside, The rv makes for a great base camp. You do miss out on some riding.

Welcome to the forum!
Nice set-up. While you miss some riding, it sure is easier when it's raining :D
Gary

Not ours, passing near our place...my guess is lower TX coast for the winter
Thought I saw Canadian plates.

IMG_0506-2.jpg

IMG_0505-2.jpg

dang Iphone ...will straighten out later:banghead

Last edited:
Well, it's closer to spring than winter, any of the RV'ers starting to get ready for the season?
So far I have changed most of the interior 12V single and duel 1156 bulb lighting with LED's. I have also replaced the group 24 batteries with a pair of group 27's.
How you making out? :ear
OM

Haulin bike

I have and use simple 10'x6' covered trailer to haul bike ramp back door tie down tracks on floor each side use for work and play. When we go on a trip my wife thinks that the going and returning are part of the deal, I have suggested she drive and I ride the motorcycle got a bad case of the stink eye so we go togeather. Winter dauphin island, summer and fall Lake Superior area rent house, cabin, or condo for a week or so load up bike in trailer throw anything we think we might need (easy to pack) and go. After we arrive and get set up I use bike to go get the fresh shrimp in winter and in summer where we stay it's about 30 miles to fish market (round trip) and about the same distance in opposite direction to go to the bakery oh the chores we have to do. To sum things if your wife does not like to ride or camp you can still haul bike and have fun my trailer cost is less than $3,000

Well, it's closer to spring than winter, any of the RV'ers starting to get ready for the season?
So far I have changed most of the interior 12V single and duel 1156 bulb lighting with LED's. I have also replaced the group 24 batteries with a pair of group 27's.
How you making out? :ear
OM

Have new burner/thermocouple for the water heater looking at me,but, been riding instead:scratch

about due for two new deep cycle batteries and am looking at the LED's to get away from those hot 1156's. Tried a few replacement bulbs, but the housings were a bit large for the holders in the reading/task housings. You change fixtures as well?

Yeah, whole fixtures Steve-

81TZYLMtyML._SL1500_.jpg

That is the double, there is a single. They are PerFit sold by RecPro via Amazon. $16.95 ea for the double. Did 6 doubles and a single with a spare of each.
Not much use yet but they all came to life right out of the package......A good sign :)
Gary

Back