• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.
Here's our rig in our driveway, ready to take off. I'm trying to figure out a way to take the RS. One of the disadvantages of a fifth wheel. It's legal to tow a trailer behind a fiver in most western states so a small trailer might be a solution.

View attachment 41306

I am in the same boat, wife doesn't like long rides but loves being a passenger. We both like the comfort of the RV, and satellite tv :thumb. Ours is a 26' Winnebago Sightseerer with 2 slides. This motorhome is a dream to drive and easy to get around in as it has a tighter turning radius than my shortbox crewcab superduty. Had bikes for years but they went away when kids showed up and I am now getting back into riding and started with a G650GS but quickly discovered that my wife loved being a passenger and the 650 just didn't cut it and we just upgraded to. 2013 1200GS WC.

We spend a lot of time at Lake Shasta in CA but was bored in the evenings so I built a lift to carry the bike as the boat trailer has a long tongue, that way we can enjoy evening rides. Just yesterday I picked up a 6x10 enclosed trailer for when we don't have the boat plus we can throw in the kayaks. We have many trips planned for next year and we can't wait!

3f5c34a06a0071d498c47915ec32c364_zpsfb034bbc.jpg
812f513ab28a44546b8b51a39232e019.jpg
beae49d1161636a908ecd3a65e9099b5.jpg

When we started traveling with our son to motocross races across the country, we bought an RV... momma was getting *really* tired of the pit toilets at the track. :hungover

Man, what a way to travel... assuming $1.50/gallon gas. These days, it is still nice to have, but very expensive to do, until you consider the cost of motels. We camp in Wal-Mart parking lots, they're free.

Then, of course, there's the whole "what kind of lame-o are you, trailering your bike and not sleeping in a tent" thing.

Well... after getting turned around on Schofield pass because it was too rough for my GS with the 200 pounds of gear I was carrying, as well as 800 miles of 100 degree temps in Ooooooooooooooohklahoma earlier this week, it came to me that I'd rather ride a smaller/lighter bike and camp in greater comfort.

As others have mentioned above, putting your RV in the center of really good riding and then going out on multiple loops over multiple days is a great way to have a good time.

So good that I am considering selling my BMWs and getting myself some Honda dirt bikes. :nod

Ian

Ya know....I'm slowly changing my opinion on the whole RV issue. A few years before my dad passed, he was talking about buying one. We were thankful that he didn't as it would have been one more thing we were "stuck" with. But in the past two years, we've spent time with several friends who own them and I'm starting to see the light. While I much prefer to ride to my destination, I definitely see the benefit of RVing. We are already making arrangements to borrow one to head to Tennessee during the unpredictable weather in March for March Moto Madness.

Great thread, Gary!

Ya know, as an "older person" if I spent my time worrying about all the stuff my kids will get "stuck with when I die" as you say, my activity level would go down immensely. If I were to know even just the exact year I was to die I suppose I could arrange for a simple departure that asked nothing of my children or (younger) spouse, how nice that is...but somewhat unlikely,huh?:scratch
In the meantime it's life full on!!!:dance:laugh MC's & all!!!
One must live their life as it fits their needs & in respect of others too. Not picking on you, necessarily,just making the point that other than perhaps "having ones affairs in order" , such as living will & the like, you just live your life. I've been there , done that, when my parents died & it's simply part of being in a family. "RV" as can be seen in this thread does not have to mean a $200k behemoth.

The best size MH

I have had 6, the best all around was a 24 ft Coachmen Leprechan (1996 Ford 460 chassis). It fit in any campground , hookups or primative, had a REAL bumper that held my DRZ 400. I got caught up in the biggger is better syndrome for awhile but am now MH free, no more taking care of 2 houses. Old motorhome adage- 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner and 2 for overnite. Corp of Engineers in my state uses any and all excuses to open the campgrounds later in the year and close them eariler ( April 15 toLabor Day) and promote only those closest to their regional office. Anybody ever heard of Bolding Mill Campground on Lake Lanier (Georgia)? Well, if the Corps has its way you probably never will. Ah you hit my hot button, oil threads ain't nothing.
Sam

popup
pickup
08GS
Skeeter ZX 200

On the closed campground note-I have been looking for places online for a fall trip/Oct to New England & Quebec/Ontario & camps are mostly closed-what happened to fall leaf watching up there? Is it about the govmts. $ or gas price or what? :banghead

On the closed campground note-I have been looking for places online for a fall trip/Oct to New England & Quebec/Ontario & camps are mostly closed-what happened to fall leaf watching up there? Is it about the govmts. $ or gas price or what? :banghead

The New England mentality is rather screwed up on recreation and many think of things as "seasonal". An example would be when the snow would be the best of the whole season in April- except around here people have moved on to April activities. This is why it has been reasoned that a spot in a campground costs a lot more up here- the campgrounds only have 3.5 months to cover a whole years expenses.
Ther are some places open late but you need to be a bit creative.
OM

All states and the federal gov't are under pressure to lower staff costs. Limiting park seasons, limits staff requirements and avoids maintenance issues like frozen pipes.

The poster complaining about USACOE camping restrictions was a bit ironic in a day of mandatory furloughs for many departments of DoD.

Toy Hauler

Hey John,

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you as far as the wife on long rides. We are currently looking for a toy hauler to tote the 2011 RT around with. If you don't mind, what kind of hualer do you have and what are you pulling it with? It will just be the two of us and possibly two cats (if we must). And if you would have done anything different feel free to share.

This may be a dumb question but can anyone point me towards a class 'c' size motorhome that is capable of hauling an RT class bike? That might make it possible for me to get my wife to attend some of the larger rallies with me. I'd rather not tow a trailer. Thanks!

Sent magically!

Four Winds fun mover series class C would fit your needs.
:thumb Not a bad choice to take a peek at. A good thing to remember is when an RV's chassis is lengthened, they call the pieces "frame extensions". It's good to keep an eye on that aspect if you are going to try to "hang" a full size bike on the back (no trailer).
OM

Hey John,

I'm in the EXACT same boat as you as far as the wife on long rides. We are currently looking for a toy hauler to tote the 2011 RT around with. If you don't mind, what kind of hualer do you have and what are you pulling it with? It will just be the two of us and possibly two cats (if we must). And if you would have done anything different feel free to share.

Eric,

I already had an F250 Diesel, so I have enough power. I bought a 2002 24' Rage'n toy hauler for $6500 used. We like it quite a bit. They make half ton towable trailers, but I've tried towing a 6500lb trailer with a half ton & just didn't like it. I got 6 MPG & felt I was beating it to death. Diesel is the only way to tow. A buddy has a 27' Attitude I love, it is a 2010. I am thinking of trading up, since we enjoy it so much. The purpose for buying the first one cheap was to see if we would use it.

Whatever you do, look at length & floor plans, some you will like better. Some of the early 2000 era ones with a bed in back have you climb a high ladder... Ours is not so high, but you do have to use a ladder. They figured out how to drop the beds vs. keep them up high for space in the early years. Next one for us will have bed in front though.

John.

:thumb Not a bad choice to take a peek at. A good thing to remember is when an RV's chassis is lengthened, they call the pieces "frame extensions". It's good to keep an eye on that aspect if you are going to try to "hang" a full size bike on the back (no trailer).
OM

OK, I'll watch for that too, thanks.

Sent magically!

Spring? Quite possibly- and it looks like our "real" nights below freezing are over :clap
Starting to move the normally carried "freezable/perishable items out the basement and back into the rig :thumb
Can't wait to cook a couple of rib-eyes on the fire. :eat
OM

Airstream....."That's just the way we roll"

Loving our R1200GS and F800GS Adventure.......and Airstream "Flying Cloud"......can't beat the name!:whistle

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 450
Thought I'd give this a bump. While it's still too cold to start "wetting" the rig up, it's a good time to start the odds and ends maintenance items. One of the first I have is to re-sew the big curtain that gives privacy to the windshield area. The material is still serviceable but the sun has rotted the plastic that has the rollers sewn onto it.
Gary

Back