• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Superstakes results

redsky49

With ticket sales for the raffle concluded June 30:
How many tickets were sold?
What was the net profit to the BMW Foundation?

They sold Superstakes Tickets at the National Rally last year so I would think they are doing the same this year and have the drawing at the rally.

They sold Superstakes Tickets at the National Rally last year so I would think they are doing the same this year and have the drawing at the rally.

Official Rule #1 on the Superstakes page is "Superstakes ticket sales begin April 1, 2013 and end June 30, 2013." Wouldn't that preclude any further ticket sales beyond June 30?

Official Rule #1 on the Superstakes page is "Superstakes ticket sales begin April 1, 2013 and end June 30, 2013." Wouldn't that preclude any further ticket sales beyond June 30?

I sold tickets at the National last year in registration.

Last year's Superstakes rules stated that all Superstakes entries had to be received by the MOA by July 6th, but they sold tickets at the rally July 19-21 and the drawing at the rally was on July 20 or 21- I forget. The rules did not state "sold only until..." as this year's rules seem to say.

I'm going to assume that the June 30th date this year is a deadline for mail and online sales so the MOA can process the purchase and issue the receipt and mail it out and have enough time for it to be received by the buyer thru the mail prior to the drawing date. I can't see the MOA choosing not to sell tickets at the rally.

I contacted Don Braasch from the MOA Foundation, his words;

No, ticket sales ended June 30. Oregon law prevents us from conducting a raffle there. The drawing will be telecast Friday evening... webcast, or at least results to be posted shortly thereafter on the MOA site.

I contacted Don Braasch from the MOA Foundation, his words;

No, ticket sales ended June 30. Oregon law prevents us from conducting a raffle there. The drawing will be telecast Friday evening... webcast, or at least results to be posted shortly thereafter on the MOA site.

Hope they spell my name correctly. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. Wow. I bet ticket sales wind up less than last year with this revelation and the fact that this website had so many problems at the start of the ticket sales period.

Speaking of Superstakes results, can someone tell me who won the early-bird draw?
Please let it be me. Please please please please please please please!

So is Superstakes going to be Friday & the rest of the door prizes Saturday at closing?

From an article on the MOA Homepage:

When will the winners be announced?

Prize winners will be announced July 20, 2013 at the 41st Annual BMW MOA International Rally in Salem, Oregon. Results will simultaneously be posted at www.bmwmoa.org.

Do I have to be present to win?

No, the winner will be contacted by phone, email or registered mail within 14 days of the drawing.

I think it was around 8300 last year. I feel the MOA isn't going to see that much of a profit if any at all this time. Shame.

If 6500 tickets sold, at $100 each, that amounts to $650,000, and the prizes are valued at roughly $275,000, so how are they not making a profit this year? I know they had a good bit of advertising, as you couldn't get away from it in ON, but no profit?

I liked it better the first year when tickets were $20. If you could afford $100 to donate to the MOA Foundation, buy 5 tickets, if you could afford $20, but one. It opened it up to more membership participation, even though it decreased the odds of winning. I understand that the first year with all the varied prizes had to be a nightmare to pull together, and the lure of winning one of 14 new bikes has a lot of draw, just seems that $100 to play is a bit steep.

The other thing I don't like is that even if you win bike #1, your ticket gets thrown back in for the remaining 13 drawings. I realize the odds of winning 2 are pretty high, but really? If you win, take your bike and your ticket and go home.........

I hope you are right, John, but I think MOA realized around $150-175,000 income from last year's raffle, so, a reduction of close to $200,000 in ticket sales must hurt, no?
I know there were many more smaller prizes last year, from helmets to European M/C tours, but IDK what were prize donations and what we actually paid for.

I also feel that the potential, no matter how small, to win more than once, adds an excitement factor.
You're thinking from a rational standpoint. If everyone did that, state run lotteries would suffer greatly because many people wouldn't take those odds after thinking rationally.

Last year when there also were smaller prizes, you wouldn't want to win a tire gauge and then be out of the running for the 12 motorcycles, would you?

Last years tickets also included Rally admission. This years does not. That's over $200,000 more to the MOA.

That would seem to more than make up for the 1800 tickets @ $100 ea. difference.

:dance:dance:dance

Back