• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200GS head shake

I think people are getting confused with what I am talking about. The bike is perfect in every way, love this machine...but if I am going 40-60mph and take my hands completely off the handlebars the handlebars start to shake badly to the point I need to grab ahold or I might go down......

I wasn't at all confused about what you're talking about.

I suggest your head shake condition might be somehow related to the uber light steering that these bikes display.

In the video, viewable earlier in this thread, the author demonstrates the bike reaction to him hitting the bar end whilst traveling at speed.
I didn't try it on all the bikes I've owned, never thought to, but certainly, neither my 2003 K1200GT nor my 2012 Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom react with such oscillation to a thump on the bar end, as evidenced in the video.

I'm say'n that these bike clearly have a light steering touch. Any chassis anomoly, rotational imbalance , or perhaps, as in your case, even a loading or equipment change (perhaps in combination with a another factor, like a tire/wheel imbalance) MIGHT affect an already light steering effort.

I can't confirm it, however, I've just today read somewhere, probably over at ADVRIDER, that the 2014 GSWC will have a steering damper as standard equipment. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I've owned my share of BMW Motocycles since 2002, 10 or so. I've ridden, and with some reservations like the GSWC...Not knocking your ride. Might buy one down the road...

d'milan

Last edited:
New Update

OK the dealership called me yesterday and believe they found the issue. The swapped out my front wheel with one from another bike on the floor and the problem went away. So my bike came with Metzler Tourance Next tires and they believe maybe the front tire had a defect of some type. They ordered Conti trail attacks that should be in this morning so I will find out later today if my problem has been resolved or not? My only question is why they didn't order a new set of Metzler's?

OK the dealership called me yesterday and believe they found the issue. The swapped out my front wheel with one from another bike on the floor and the problem went away. So my bike came with Metzler Tourance Next tires and they believe maybe the front tire had a defect of some type. They ordered Conti trail attacks that should be in this morning so I will find out later today if my problem has been resolved or not? My only question is why they didn't order a new set of Metzler's?

I like it when something is actually found. Of course, it could be the tire, or the wheel, or the combination of the two, if each is a little off in some way.

I would be curious enough to ask them about the tire choice. It could be cost, or it could be that the Next has been involved in too many such issues, or it could simply be what was in a nearby warehouse...

I like it when something is actually found. Of course, it could be the tire, or the wheel, or the combination of the two, if each is a little off in some way.

I would be curious enough to ask them about the tire choice. It could be cost, or it could be that the Next has been involved in too many such issues, or it could simply be what was in a nearby warehouse...

I'll post an update as to what they say and to why they didn't just put new Metzler's back on the bike.

Head shake resolved with new tires!

Well picked up bike Friday and the head shake is completely gone. Apparently the BMW factory in Munich called my dealer and told them to replace the Metzler tires with Conti attack trail tires. They gave no reason as to why!!! So I am guessing that BMW is seeing some issues with the Metzler Tourance Next tires!!

Well picked up bike Friday and the head shake is completely gone. Apparently the BMW factory in Munich called my dealer and told them to replace the Metzler tires with Conti attack trail tires. They gave no reason as to why!!! So I am guessing that BMW is seeing some issues with the Metzler Tourance Next tires!!

Wow! Veeeeery interesting.

Kudo's BMW

Isn't it nice to hear BMW responding to a problem with a solution! Too often we only hear the negative stories. On the other hand now I am going to have to re-think which tires I was going to put on my 09 GS next time.

2013 R1200GSW Headshake

Hey guys!

Interesting thread here. My 2013 R1200GSW with 3,100 miles, vario side and topcases, and Tourance Nexts also has an intermittent head shake on the pavement at highway speeds on deceleration and at steady state cruise control on conditions (not related to the quick steering in the video). No bike I've ever owned has had this kind of head shake unless the steering head bearings were shot from a lot of miles. I've owned 70's, 80,s, and 90's dirt bikes of large and small displacements and 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000's street and dual sports as well from Suzuki GS's, to airhead RT's, to K-RT's, to a new R80G/S to a current,F650 Dakar to recently sold Kawasaki Concours, etc.

I'm getting 1 to 4 inches of rapid side to side handle bar end movement at moderate to increasing frequency during these events with hands off (hands hovering over grips so I'm not the source of the bar movement). Enough to be concerned and counter the movements with more hand pressure. Not a tank slapper yet but looks like it may go there some day. Tire pressures are at spec and the tires do not appear oddly worn. I'm running the spoke wheels.

So far intermittent and infrequent. If it gets worse I'll have to go see my dealer.

By the way, the bike rocks and I'm glad I bought it! Just have to get a few things dialed in on this intro model year machine!

Taking your hands off the bars is improper operation. Many, many bikes, brand new out of the crate will do this. (I set up and test rode lots of bikes fresh out of the crate - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki). Some will not. It is not a problem unless it happens with your hands ON the bars.

I was wondering if the bike is still working well with the new tires. I just received my vario cases and have exactly the same problem! I'm expecting a "no problem found" found from my dealer. Do you know of any service number or any document I can point my dealer to, to avoid weeks of going back and forth? Thanks.

Taking your hands off the bars is improper operation. Many, many bikes, brand new out of the crate will do this. (I set up and test rode lots of bikes fresh out of the crate - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki). Some will not. It is not a problem unless it happens with your hands ON the bars.
Allow me to challenge all this. First, why is taking your hands off the handlebar "improper operation"? A well balanced motorcycle will let you take off your hands with no drama, for a few seconds of relaxing hands, arms and back, refreshing hands and arms in the wind, changing position in the saddle, or even adjusting a piece of equipment. Second, no serious headshake will suddenly happen ONLY with your hands off the handlebar. It may be under a bit of control with your hands on, but only slightly. Unless you hold the bar in a vise grip, which IS improper operation. And even that will not control any serious headshake at all. A serious handshake will occur even with your hands on the bar anyway.

My riding buddy had the problem from the get go with his spoked wheels LC. They changed his Tourance Next for Continental Trail Attack II. 80% of the problem was solved. The remaining 20% were solved with a tuning of the spokes.

Allow me to challenge all this. First, why is taking your hands off the handlebar "improper operation"? A well balanced motorcycle will let you take off your hands with no drama, for a few seconds of relaxing hands, arms and back, refreshing hands and arms in the wind, changing position in the saddle, or even adjusting a piece of equipment. Second, no serious headshake will suddenly happen ONLY with your hands off the handlebar. It may be under a bit of control with your hands on, but only slightly. Unless you hold the bar in a vise grip, which IS improper operation. And even that will not control any serious headshake at all. A serious handshake will occur even with your hands on the bar anyway.

My riding buddy had the problem from the get go with his spoked wheels LC. They changed his Tourance Next for Continental Trail Attack II. 80% of the problem was solved. The remaining 20% were solved with a tuning of the spokes.

Examine any book on how to ride a motorcycle. Audit any course on how to ride a motorcycle. Ask any manufacturer how to ride their motorcycles. All sources will provide the identical answer: Hands on the handlebars.

In my case, this rather obvious tidbit was first offered to me by an instructor at a factory Honda motorcycle mechanic training school in the 1980s. It was given as a response to the very question about the sometimes wobble that bikes can have if you take your hands off the bars.

While it is true that you can sometimes get away with taking your hands off the bars, that does not make it proper operation. Rather, it is more like trick or stunt riding. Some bikes are more forgiving of the practice than others. Anything and everything to do with the chassis, and its condition and adjustment, including tires, and more plays into the equation.

So, it is possible to take steps to lessen what happens, but it is never a problem when the motorcycle is operated properly.

So, it is possible to take steps to lessen what happens, but it is never a problem when the motorcycle is operated properly.

You clearly have not experienced this problem. It IS a problem when the "motorcycle is operated properly". The forces causing the shake do not disappear just because I put my hands on the handlebar. The forces are being absorbed by me, the bike, the mirrors. Even though the handlebars aren't shaking, the bike is. The mirrors are blurry; I feel it in my arms, my shoulders, my feet. There is something wrong whether or not the "motorcycle is operated properly".

You clearly have not experienced this problem. It IS a problem when the "motorcycle is operated properly". The forces causing the shake do not disappear just because I put my hands on the handlebar. The forces are being absorbed by me, the bike, the mirrors. Even though the handlebars aren't shaking, the bike is. The mirrors are blurry; I feel it in my arms, my shoulders, my feet. There is something wrong whether or not the "motorcycle is operated properly".

You would be mistaken. I have experienced a wide variety of chassis issues of differing severity. I was responding specifically to the "it does this when I take my hands off the bars" thing. If you are having oscillation of some kind while riding correctly, e.g., with your hands on the bars, that is certainly a problem that you should try to correct.

My GS came with the Conti Attack tires. It's the first bike I've ever owned that is so stable I can (but don't on a regular basis) take my hands off the grips. No vibration, head shake, drift, etc.

Exactly.

You would be mistaken. I have experienced a wide variety of chassis issues of differing severity. I was responding specifically to the "it does this when I take my hands off the bars" thing. If you are having oscillation of some kind while riding correctly, e.g., with your hands on the bars, that is certainly a problem that you should try to correct.

I do take my hands off the handlebar from time to time for a few seconds, and I have no head shake problem whatsoever. My bike is rock steady. And if my bike had head shake, it wouldn't disappear with my hands on the handlebar. This is irrelevant.

As this has gone on a while- no head shake here.....

221358_223713860976978_214067408608290_1045262_44244_o.jpg

:hide

Head Shake

I have an '09 GSA.I was coming back from the Heath Rally and decided to see how fast this baby could go.109 on the GPS and the front end began to shake.I talked to a buddy with the same bike and he said the same thing...head shake at 109.

I was wondering if the bike is still working well with the new tires. I just received my vario cases and have exactly the same problem! I'm expecting a "no problem found" found from my dealer. Do you know of any service number or any document I can point my dealer to, to avoid weeks of going back and forth? Thanks.

To answer your question, YES my bike works great with the Conti Attacks. I put over 1000 shake free miles on them before I decided I wanted dual sport tires. I recently installed Metzler Karoo 3's and have no head shake whatsoever with these tires either. I honestly believe the original front tire had some type of defect.

Back