• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead tool kit

cpitale

Hello all I recently bought a 77 r100rs but the factory tool kit is missing the dogbone wrench and the tire irons any ideas where to locate these inexpensively?

Welcome to the forum! Saw the nice picture of the RS!!

Here's one place that you might look at:

http://bmwhucky.com/010071.html

Also, drop into the link in my signature block for many links to help with owning one of these bikes. There are several parts suppliers (new, used, salvage) listed there, including this link to BMW Huckys.

Tool kit

If you want new tools then Hucky, Bench Mark Works, or any dealer can fix you right up.
On the other hand, used kits show up on ebay on a regular basis. You can also check with the Parts Haus or any other used part vendor.
Just be sure to find out how many and what tools comprise a complete tool kit for your bike. On some models there is a photo of the complete kit in the owner's manual.

Hello all I recently bought a 77 r100rs but the factory tool kit is missing the dogbone wrench and the tire irons any ideas where to locate these inexpensively?

The "dogbone" wrench is worth having for removing early style fork caps (which your bike most likely does not have) and adjusting the stock shocks (which have to be near close to worthless, if even present on your bike), but those tire irons were never very great as functional tools.
So unless you want them for completing a concourse level restoration, why bother?

The tools are available on the BMW parts fiche from any dealer. Be sure to check the prices on the fiche before you go looking at used tools. Used tools are sometimes sold for more than you would pay for new ones. You can fill in any missing pieces (a few NLA exceptions) from your dealer.

I disagree about the tire tools. For "in-the-bike" tool sets, they are the best I have seen. Once the bead is broken, they work fine - especially if you have three hands.

The only better ones I have seen are long with a screwdriver type handle. But you wouldn't take them on a trip.

I think the fork wrench is a must.

If you decide to buy your own wrenches, look for the ones that have 2 in 1 (diff. sizes on either end) like the ones in the original toolkit. You can save a lot of weight and space that way. Also, an offset 13mm is very handy for fork oil changes (not that you would necessarily have to do that on the road).

I've also used the tire irons that come with the kit on several occasions. Not the best leverage but they can get the job done and they are small enough that they are always on the bike.

tire irons

I've also used the tire irons that come with the kit on several occasions. Not the best leverage but they can get the job done and they are small enough that they are always on the bike.

My experience has been that when you get to use the tool kit tire irons, you're usually dealing with a hot tire. Easier to break the bead, and if you carry a little tire lube in a 35mm film can, it's a bearable task.

Tool kit

I just bought a 100s tool kit was not even close to original but does have the tire irons.
If you are interested in them, I will look up what tool kit should have when I get home.
Took kit had several generic 10 & 12 14 mm wrenches not German anyways.
Have a full extra kit at hom to use.

thanks for your help everyone I wound up filling the gaps with some non heyco tools but will serve their purpose in the event of crisis!

1972 toaster tool kit

need some help doing a fresh post. I have a original tool kit from my R75/5 toaster that I foundt stashed in my work bench. what is a fair price for it ?

need some help doing a fresh post. I have a original tool kit from my R75/5 toaster that I foundt stashed in my work bench. what is a fair price for it ?

Above the "Reply to Thread" button you used to post here there is a file location list as follows:
"Forum The Garage Airheads Airhead tool kit Reply to Thread"

- Click on "Airheads"
- Look near the top left and click on "Post New Thread"
- Enter a title and post away

Back