• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

new GT side cases fit on "old" ST?

A

azgsgirl

I have a 2008 F800ST. I just saw the new side cases that they came out with for the GT. It begs the question, why didn't they come out with those in the first place? The beer kegs were stupid -- too small, and looked dumb. I didn't buy them. I got Givi cases instead. I never liked that look either (less objectionable, however, than the beer kegs), and now they have a lot of miles on them, so I was wondering if anyone knows if the new GT cases will fit on my ST? I'd like to replace the Givis with the new ones. I saved all the original mounts that came with my bike.

Thanks,

- Jo

The right side case off the GT will fit on a ST. The left bag off the GT will not fit. The bracket the bag rests on is different and with out some very creative engineering (expensive) the bag will not fit. This has been discussed on the F800 forum with no solutions presented.

bob

The right side case off the GT will fit on a ST. The left bag off the GT will not fit. The bracket the bag rests on is different and with out some very creative engineering (expensive) the bag will not fit. This has been discussed on the F800 forum with no solutions presented.

bob

Now, why am I not surprised? To make the bags fit the ST would be too logical, and convenient. Do you mean the near side case will not fit, or the off side case will not fit? I would assume by the "left" side case you mean the one on the side with the muffler, but I don't want to "assume" anything.

That sounds like a challenge to me. I will see what I can figure out.

Thanks for the responses.

- Jo

As you are sitting on the bike in the riders position, the left side of the bike is to your left. (exhaust side) The right side GT bag goes on with out an issue. Fits just like it does on the GT. The bags have a piece on the bottom where they fit on the bar, that on the left side goes by the muffler. This is where the fitment issue exists. It doesn't fit.

bob

I just noticed you are in Gilbert Az. I am just outside of Queen Creek (San Tan Valley) Will be around Mon afternoon/early evening if you want to inspect the bikes. I am heading to Denver very early Tues morning, and then to Salem. Expect to be back in 2 weeks. Drop me a pm if interested.

bob

I just noticed you are in Gilbert Az. I am just outside of Queen Creek (San Tan Valley) Will be around Mon afternoon/early evening if you want to inspect the bikes. I am heading to Denver very early Tues morning, and then to Salem. Expect to be back in 2 weeks. Drop me a pm if interested.

bob

I would love to, Bob. Maybe when you get back. My ST is now in the shop for its 60,000 mile service, and a new belt (long story why I had to wait until the last minute), and my '06 650GS is in pieces on the floor of the same shop (since April 30). My riding partner and I had sort of planned to go to Salem, but now his BMW (97 R1100RS) is in another shop with final drive issues. What else, right? I hate to even ask. So, we are down to dirt bikes, and the summer plans are up in the air. Thanks so much for the offer, though. I am very curious about what the bag issue looks like in practice.

Have a great time on your trip. Ride safely. :)

- Jo

I just saw the new side cases that they came out with for the GT. It begs the question, why didn't they come out with those in the first place? The beer kegs were stupid -- too small, and looked dumb. I didn't buy them.
- Jo

Worth mentioning that this is your opinion and not everyone agrees with it. I, for one, prefer the sport cases to the new GT cases. I think the GT cases are too large and out of proportion with the otherwise smaller look of the F800ST. Plus, I have found the sport cases hold more stuff than I ever expected. All in all, I would not trade my sport cases for larger, more conventional looking side cases.

Worth mentioning that this is your opinion and not everyone agrees with it. I, for one, prefer the sport cases to the new GT cases. I think the GT cases are too large and out of proportion with the otherwise smaller look of the F800ST. Plus, I have found the sport cases hold more stuff than I ever expected. All in all, I would not trade my sport cases for larger, more conventional looking side cases.

Of course it's my opinion, and you can disagree with it. That's what discussion is for.

Side case adjuster screws. F800GT

Can anyone tell me the Torx screw adjuster size on the side cases on the F800GT?
Can't believe it's not in the bike manual.

Peter

[SUP][/SUP]

I like the sport panniers too. I have a pair on my 1200S. They fold up small for light duty and, when expended, carry a lot of gear. I think they fit the look of the S and ST better than the GT bags.

Still, I would think BMW would have standardized the mounts on the two systems.

Back