• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

3/4 length mesh jackets...........what options are there

Hello,

I'm thinking about a 3/4 length mesh jacket to replace my old, poorly fitting Gericke jacket. The Tourmaster Sonora Air jacket seem like a decent product, but I can't find any other alternatives. Any suggestions? I want to keep the cost at, or below, the $200 range.

I picked up a rev'it Ignition II jacket this spring to use as my spring, summer fall jacket, I have a stich I wear when it is not warm. I have put about 5,000 miles on it and I'm very impressed. Solid construction with leather in the impact areas and a very high quality mesh in front with fantastic arm vents.

I found one at a shop for $100 off list!

rev'it.jpg

I picked up a rev'it Ignition II jacket this spring to use as my spring, summer fall jacket, I have a stich I wear when it is not warm. I have put about 5,000 miles on it and I'm very impressed. Solid construction with leather in the impact areas and a very high quality mesh in front with fantastic arm vents.

I found one at a shop for $100 off list!

That doesn't look 3/4 length to me. :scratch

I went with the MOTOPORT 3/4 length jacket. Kevlar mesh, good protection, comfortable and yes pricey

Yeah but the original question was whether there are alternatives to that.

Now, now.........no need to be the forum enforcer. Saying that you've been thru the same process and ended up at the purchase of a Sonoma is valid input

BTW - since you're in Carlisle, did you venture over to Gettysburg this weekend?

I was looking for the same thing and recently picked up a gently used BMW Airflow ... jury's still out for me, the mesh material is scratchy on bare skin. But for $150 I couldn't pass it up.

Tourmaster Transition 3 was in the running; $220 +/-

tm_wmtrans3-hivis.jpg

Rev IT Levante may be the tickey ... but it's in the $300 neighborhood. I'll give the Airflow a couple more weeks and see how I adapt to it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B51OeoMfbls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My problem is finding any of these jackets to try on for fit.

Airflow

Attachments

• BMW Air Flow 1.jpg
    BMW Air Flow 1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,732
I planned to avoid the mobs but accidentally got caught up. I was coming north on Fairfield Road and intended to take Herr's Ridge Road to 34, then back to Carlisle. But I didn't realize the Herr's Ridge doesn't quite intersect with Fairfield Road, so I ended up on Reynolds Avenue. And it was packed. I sat through three light changes at Reynolds Avenue/Lincoln Highway before I made it. And I was wearing black leather. It was perforated, but that didn't help much while I was sitting still in the sun.

Perforated leather in this weather? Hopefully, you're moving at high speed and no stops. It's been ~90 degrees for nearly two weeks up here (Bellefonte), so that puts you folks at 95, or higher. That's toasty in my book.

It's fine into the low 90s as I'm moving.

Last time I was in Bellefonte a few weeks ago I got really irked--all of down town was closed for a car show or something, and there were no marked detours.

Oh yes, our local version of the Hershey fall meet, complete with vintage AMC products from the 1970's.........

Seriously, there was no sign for a PA144 detour thru town to Milesburg (PA150)? If that ever happens again, just detour one block east around the town square and head north. You'll pass thru the historic district, (two to three blocks), then you have no choice (other than driving off a cliff into a flooded quarry) but to follow roads that rejoin PA144 North

Have fun and stop at the Red Horse Tavern in Pleasant Gap. It's under new and really good management. Enjoy.

I have wonderful timing: the last time I went through there was the day of the Sandusky sentencing, so every television van in the state was parked around the courthouse.

I watched a transit bus do a 40+ point turn to clear the town "diamond" in the fraction of street that wasn't gobbled by the news vans. But, that is the price you pay when you're the epicenter of a spectacle.

A tour bus from WI stopped in town to see the circus while in transit to NYC.

Seriously--you're supposed to wear a shirt under it.

okay, we're not talking nipples on mesh here .... I usually wear a "pollo" shirt with collar under, I just find the bare "arms" a bit uncomfortable..... call me wussy... .
icon_wink.gif

Back on the jacket-
First Gear makes a couple, the Kilamanjaro and Kathmandu- that can be found at discount places at under $200, especially the "non-current" version.
They're excellent gear for the $.

RevIt is better but pricier- I use a now obsolete Scirroco as my 3 season jacket- been replaced by the Levante which is not better IMO.

I just bought a First Gear mesh jacket for $161 and some change from Competition Accessories and think it's one of my best jackets for summer riding. It could use a little better armor but I can upgrade later.

Just to close out the thread

It took me a year, but I finally did make a purchase........a Tourmaster Air Sonoma. The jacket has numerous features and seems to be generously cut. My primary fault with the jacket is narrow rubber velcro tabs. A wider fabric tab with velcro would have been better.

But, so far, so good. And, I, too, are now one of the Hi-Viz Yellow/Green weenies

Hey, who you callin' a weenie? I'm one of the hi-vizzers too and I just don't understand why anyone would ride in black. No-viz and hot!

I've had a Tourmaster Sonora 3/4-length mesh jacket in hi-viz yellow for a few years. I prefer the 3/4 length which limits the choices. My complaint with it is it has too many pockets! There are two "Napoleon" pockets zipped on the exterior and another zipped inside. All of this adds layers of material and, even though it is all mesh, it stops a lot of air and adds weight. But I'd buy another should that be necessary. Good value.

pete
'11 R12RT

Back