Thread: Fork Cap Tool Missing Stud R60/5

Fork Cap Tool Missing Stud R60/5

Remember the Jethro Tull song, "Nothing is Easy?"

Sometimes the what seem to be the most straightforward tasks turn into hairpin turns such as . . .

With my R60/5 project, have switched to focusing on suspension - ordered new rear shocks and want to change the fork oil - should be simple but NO

Go into my tool kit and wow, the fork tool is missing a stud - managed to get one off using a metal screw and tap tap tap but other side not so easy - bent screw - ouch

Thought process is to find a drill bit, grind off a piece and have my son weld it on to the wrench unless there are some other simple ways to accomplish this beside buying a new wrench - that would be too easy

While on this subject - the Haynes book says to use 2 weight fork oil - the closest I have on hand is 5 weight - manual says anything more than 2 weight will make suspension too stiff.

About ready to hit the couch and watch another episode of Arrested Development - I need some laughs, to offset the tears I'm shedding over what should be simple tasks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Get an appropriately sized "roll pin" at any good hardware store. Drive the roll pin through the hole in the wrench so just enough sticks out on one side. Grind off the other side. Use tool!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Harbor Freight has a universal pin wrench. As for weight, you have to look hard to find 2w or 5w fork oil. The common one that I hear most people mention is 7.5w...if you're buying BMW's oil. Also, there's quite a range in "real" viscosity in various fork oils. Snowbum has an article here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/viscosity.htm
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Jim Carr
    I've used 2 pin punches with a screwdriver across them and it works fine.

Fork oil should be 7.5 weight.

Thanks guys!
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5