• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Ricardo company

So, when the consumer buys a product from company XYZ that's a compendium of parts from suppliers A, B & C does he or she really understand that you're possibly just talking about a variance in QA/QC standards applied to the same product produced on the same assembly line? In addition, when the number of suppliers of a given component become fewer than the number of car companies, doesn't differentiating between car companies become silly?

Once the market understands that you're just offering a different combination of parts that the other guy could have chosen to purchase, you've pretty lost any brand appeal.

To your point, remember when each GM brand made their own engines? That ended. The difference is in the badging, trim and name. It's a perception game that in the end is meaningless as there is very little differentiation. It's already a little silly and will get sillier.

OK, so if Honda and Yamaha trim some weight from their sports touring bikes, I would be a fool to spend the money on a more expensive brand.

I really hope someone in Japan and Germany is listening..........

I doubt it's only the weight. Perception factors in here and with the japanese, it's price point. There's no other reason the ST and C14 do not have CC other than price point. Same with the F6B. It lacks ABS and CC. You'd think they'd find a way to include it at the same price or even a little more, but it's left out completely. That said, go to the gym and workout. The extra weight isn't the end of the world. :p

To your point, remember when each GM brand made their own engines? That ended. The difference is in the badging, trim and name. It's a perception game that in the end is meaningless as there is very little differentiation. It's already a little silly and will get sillier.

Yes, and I quit driving Big Three products in 1992, because of that...

Back