• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift debate thread

Another DIY worktable option

AUT_1050.jpg

Nice design, the sides fold for storage and the ramp stows inside.

But I've got to admit, the idea of rolling my RT up there by myself is kind of scary...

Having both...

Having both a DIY bench with ramp and a H-F lift I can tell you for me they meet different purposes and I use them for different projects. The home-made stand is great to do a long project/restoration on. I currently have a 1959 R60 on it and it will probably be there for a few more months. I have storage below it and my tool chest beside it. Handy. It is on castors and has tie downs so the bike cannot fall even with BOTH tires removed as they are now. The harbor Freight lift is newer to me and is handy for lots of smaller maintenance work. I just used it for two weeks as a bench to glue up cabinet doors for the kitchen. I then rolled my old Honda CT90 onto it to do some electrical work and fluid changes. One great difference is that the DIY lift really needs another person to help push up a full sized bike and the HF lift is a one person push-on then lift. I got one for the $299 and it is really well made, straight and true (cabinet doors are flat) and works faultlessly. I topped up the Hydraulic cylinder with Hyd. oil, greased it and it is a great product. +++ recommendation

Attachments

• DSC_1701.jpg
    DSC_1701.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3,054

I have one too...a 1971. Nice little bike but it needs some work...burns more oil than gas. One of these days I'll get a round tuit and do a ring & valve job on it.

Also have an HF lift...great tool for no more than I use it.

One great difference is that the DIY lift really needs another person to help push up a full sized bike and the HF lift is a one person push-on then lift.

Line up the lifts, raise the bike on the HF and then roll it onto the DIY stand?

I've seen that lift on sale in the Brandon MB store but the price has never been as low as the $300.00 Harbor Freight cupons that show up in bike magazines If I remember right the sale price was still about five hundred (Cdn).

I have a 329.99 $ coupon for a harber freight motorcycle lift if anyone out there wants it PM me with your address and i'll sent it to you. :dance

never mind

Last edited:
The $299 coupon is readily available in Cycleworld, Motorcyclist, Rider, etc. It has been appearing monthly, or bimonthly, for several years. A simple trip to your magazine seller will get you the coupon. It is a good lift for $299.

Back