• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adjusting head light 2009 R1200RT

tgf429

Plasterman
Look at length to find instructions on aiming the head light on my RT. I know I have read these somewhere before. Can someone help me with the link?

Thanks

Tom

Here's a note that helps me remember...

Headlight Adjustment:
13mm, clockwise turns adjust beam higher (clockwise=up counterclockwise=down)
The lever is at about 2 o'clock from the left side low beam. It surrounds the fine tuning adjustment for up and down (the left-right adjustment is at about 7 o'clock on the right low beam). When down (90 degrees), it's flush with the bulb access bezel (for 1-up riding). When up, in-line with the headlight axis, it surrounds the adjustment nut (for 2-up riding).

Images are also included in the online Rider's Manual.

Cheers!

One of the nice changes in the 2010 "facelift" is a big knob on dash that facilitates on-the-go headlight adjustment.

What I am really looking for is an earlier posters instructions at the aiming process. He had the bike so many feet away from a wall with the wall marked at a certain height then adusted the light to fall at the mark on the wall. I know how to adjust the light itself, just want to aim it at the correct height.

Thanks

Tom

Found it, this is what I was looking for.

Here is the official way to do adjust the headlight:
On your flat floored garage, make a mark on the floor, 16 feet 5 inches from a wall (officially 5 meters).

While sitting on your bike, with a normal load, that means balancing and having your big feet on the
pegs!...have someone measure the distance from the CENTER of the headlight to the garage floor.
Put a mark at this same vertical distance on the wall, and another mark 2 inches below it (5 cm).

Move your bike, that means don't put it on the centerstand, until the FRONT AXLE is above the 16'5"
floor mark. Aim the headlight for the two marks, with your normal weight and load as before. The
bucket should be adjusted for the cutoff to dark area on top to lighted area, to be between the two
marks.

Back