• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Lincoln Highway - Times Square to Lincoln Park in San Fran the old fashioned way

The Lincoln Highway was Ike's inspiration for creating the Interstate system during his presidency. He was ordered to take a detachment of soldiers across the country using this road; it took close to 6 months. Later on a trip to Germany with some more soldiers he realized how fast you could travel on the autobahn. He was convinced!

I picked up a book about the Lincoln Highway a few years ago - a good read. IIRC, when Eisenhower went across the country, it was not so much ON the road as it was to build it. They were tasked with creating the first continous cross-country route. I was excited to ride some of it on the way to the rally in Bend and get my picture taken beside a couple of the monuments. Sadly, vandals have stolen the bronze Lincoln medallions from several of them, though we did see some that were intact.

I picked up a book about the Lincoln Highway a few years ago - a good read. IIRC, when Eisenhower went across the country, it was not so much ON the road as it was to build it. They were tasked with creating the first continous cross-country route. I was excited to ride some of it on the way to the rally in Bend and get my picture taken beside a couple of the monuments. Sadly, vandals have stolen the bronze Lincoln medallions from several of them, though we did see some that were intact.

That's exactly why you chop off their hands with an ax.

Yes
It has always been there. There have been tv shows about it. And books. And maps.
I started riding it as a kid with my parents.
Well, I guess it has been there since 1913 or so.
And I think like the similarly touted Route 66, covered in some places by other roads, but probably less covered or rerouted than Route 66.
dc

The Lincoln Highway was Ike's inspiration for creating the Interstate system during his presidency. He was ordered to take a detachment of soldiers across the country using this road; it took close to 6 months. Later on a trip to Germany with some more soldiers he realized how fast you could travel on the autobahn. He was convinced!

US 2, 6, 30 and 40 were the major east - west routes prior the Interstates. In that day, going anywhere far, was best done on a train.

Yes, the Autobahn and Autostrada were the basis for the Interstate system and it's funding was only approved as a Cold War defense need for mobilization.

Back