• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Are our bikes that good?

DrPaul

DrPaul
I've had my previously-owned 2008 K1200GT for about a year and a half and around 12K miles. It's been about the most trouble-free motorcycle I've owned in my 40+ years of riding. Judging by the low posting activity on this 'Wedge K-bikes' sub-forum, I'm guessing the rest of you must feel the same. Heck, even the never-ending and always-entertaining oil and tire threads are rare here! So, are our bikes really that good? Or, are there just a lot fewer generation-2 K riders out there than the other BMW models can claim? Or, are we so busy riding and tinkering with these fine machines there is no time to post our comments and concerns? Guess I'm just trying to kick start a little mid-summer discussion about our favorite two-wheeler. Anyone out there? Hello? :brow

Back in '88 at the Madison Indiana rally, one of the attending wrenches mentioned how all of his work was with airheads, the only K to come through just had a leaky fuel line clamp. Give your bike some time and miles, it will develop a full set of issues :laugh

I've had my previously-owned 2008 K1200GT for about a year and a half and around 12K miles. It's been about the most trouble-free motorcycle I've owned in my 40+ years of riding. Judging by the low posting activity on this 'Wedge K-bikes' sub-forum, I'm guessing the rest of you must feel the same. Heck, even the never-ending and always-entertaining oil and tire threads are rare here! So, are our bikes really that good? Or, are there just a lot fewer generation-2 K riders out there than the other BMW models can claim? Or, are we so busy riding and tinkering with these fine machines there is no time to post our comments and concerns? Guess I'm just trying to kick start a little mid-summer discussion about our favorite two-wheeler. Anyone out there? Hello? :brow

Well, since you asked... recalls and issues do exist. The infamous air box issue. Not really replaced unless you asked for it I think it was. Been a long time so memory is weak on this one and attitude far more negative than 5 years ago. ABS failures were definitely in there. Final drive failures as well. Some type of wiring problems with the brake pads I think. Cam chain tensioner issues as well I seem to recall. Could be wrong on that one. For fact they didn't survive very long in the marketplace. Nor did their replacement the K1300GT.

So, to answer your question... No, they are really not that good. But the appropriate question is really Are you happy with yours? Apparently so and that is a good thing.

Most of us who actually ride/ownthese models are relatively happy with ownership...heck, we have two S's. Like any hi tech model...it has a few blips...but when that 160+ HP roars under your saddle and makes one smile, all's good.
I just swapped an airbox & idle valve on a 2007 12GT and rode it earlier this week...RT on steroids...and I had one of those. Regular maintenance is key and riding it regularly helps with crummy fuel issues. It's the only model that had the brake wear indicators other than the LT, but a software flash often fixed that.
The cam tensioner and chain guard mod seems to be the same issue the Oilhead boxers had with sloppy chain noise...it was just WAY louder on the early wedges.

I think a lot of the K12/13 GT owners I know are most likely headed to a K16...I want a S or a R version:rocker

And that would be MY opinion :whistle

BTW ...Happy 4th :usa

Most of us who actually ride/ownthese models are relatively happy with ownership...heck, we have two S's. Like any hi tech model...it has a few blips...but when that 160+ HP roars under your saddle and makes one smile, all's good.
I just swapped an airbox & idle valve on a 2007 12GT and rode it earlier this week...RT on steroids...and I had one of those. Regular maintenance is key and riding it regularly helps with crummy fuel issues. It's the only model that had the brake wear indicators other than the LT, but a software flash often fixed that.

I think a lot of the K12/13 GT owners are most likely headed to a K16...I want a S version:rocker

And that would be MY opinion :whistle

BTW ...Happy 4th :usa

The K13 seemed to have worked most of the K12 bugs out. That K13 though was immediately hit with a recall on the handlebar switches. Very nice switches but they broke by the numbers when released. Lack of R&D presumably. I put a few long trips on that model and it was indeed a rocket ship having a bit more hp than the 12. 160 or 165 rings a bell for some reason. I think the 12 was actually somewhere around 150+ hp. Surprisingly comfortable for my 6'1" frame I have to admit as that was a concern prior to leaving on the trip. My only hesitation in owning one? The fear of being ticketed at somewhere in 3 figures which seemed to show up on every slab I cruised on. Actually rode between an Audi and a Benz on the Florida Turnpike one time while maintaining approximately 110 to 115 for almost 1 hour. Sure was capable of putting a smile on your face and me in jail so I bailed. If they could only get about 135 hp to 145 hp out of an RT.... oh yeah, + fatten up them front fork tubes. That bike would rock!

PB230036-L.jpgThis road was made for these bikes...SH130 tollway in Central TX...and the S comes in at 163 on the HP...dual air intakes help it breathe I assume:thumb

I passed a State Trooper who was cruising at 70...never saw him again:D

My 2007 F800S was so bad, it was lemoned out by BMW NA at less than 18 months old. The 2007 R1200S that replaced has had oil and tires a few times, and 6K and 12K service and that's it.

The K13 seemed to have worked most of the K12 bugs out. That K13 though was immediately hit with a recall on the handlebar switches. Very nice switches but they broke by the numbers when released. Lack of R&D presumably. I put a few long trips on that model and it was indeed a rocket ship having a bit more hp than the 12. 160 or 165 rings a bell for some reason.

175HP at the crank for the K1300S.

My air box/idle valve has been replaced, having issues again and no warranty or help from BMW. With the lurching and crappy throttle response at low rpm I am at the point where I hate riding it. I added the "Booster Plug" but no help, probably because of the air box. I took the air box out and put a straight edge against it, cant find anything that is warped, but that is what the dealer is telling me. It is an '06 so well out of warranty and I don't think I should have to spend another $850 on a BMW fix that was already paid for once.

Thinking of buying a airhead...........

The K13 seemed to have worked most of the K12 bugs out. That K13 though was immediately hit with a recall on the handlebar switches. Very nice switches but they broke by the numbers when released. Lack of R&D presumably. I put a few long trips on that model and it was indeed a rocket ship having a bit more hp than the 12. 160 or 165 rings a bell for some reason. I think the 12 was actually somewhere around 150+ hp. Surprisingly comfortable for my 6'1" frame I have to admit as that was a concern prior to leaving on the trip. My only hesitation in owning one? The fear of being ticketed at somewhere in 3 figures which seemed to show up on every slab I cruised on. Actually rode between an Audi and a Benz on the Florida Turnpike one time while maintaining approximately 110 to 115 for almost 1 hour. Sure was capable of putting a smile on your face and me in jail so I bailed. If they could only get about 135 hp to 145 hp out of an RT.... oh yeah, + fatten up them front fork tubes. That bike would rock!
The the ticket issue is is the reason I stick with the oil heads. BTW, even the oil head is capable of sustained 115 MPH+ this time it was 3 Benzes, a BMW car, Cadillac CTS and an Audi. I was headed to Little Rock, out of fuel at Russleville only upper 20 mpg at that speed.

OK, that got a little chatter going out there. And as one would expect with these powerful machines, the thread eventually distills down to horsepower and speed. No surprise; that's likely the fundamental reason we own these bikes. Oh sure, the creature features of the K bike far surpass those of my R1150RTs. But it's when you twist that throttle ... well, you know what I mean.

The creature comforts of a K bike are better than an RT??? Really? Not mine.

I bought a used 06 K1200GT at a good price and well aware of its many design problems- and am slowing chewing through the ones mine has.
For example, after installing both the new cam chain tensioner and the jump guard I still have a noisy on startup cam chain. Looks like I need to measure the chain and think about a new one at only 27K miles.
The things wanders and is going to need ball joint replacement to restore handling.

The tranny is clunk junk compared to any J brand bike or even newer BMWs but the much maligned clutch on mine seems fine to me though with a bit heavy lever effort.

I'm confident of my ability to sort this thing out and get it running "as new" or better- which I'm doing to see if its power and handling are enough to keep me interested in letting it occupy garage space long term.
So far, both its handling and power delivery are well below that of the K-RS brick (with RhineWest chip and Ohlins) that I also ride. Sure the wedge has a bit more up top but its total power curve isn't nearly as much fun or delivered as well. Perhaps by the time I sort the handling, I'll have figured out what I need to do about that. I haven't delved into airboxes and programming, yet.

The whizzie brakes on the 06 GT are the worst of any of the 4 BMWs in our fleet for feel and take more effort than they should on a bike this fast- though they work well enough in the end. EBC HH's helped- at least it feels more like my (non whizzie) 08 RT that uses the same pads.

These bikes died because they didn't sell well and probably because BMW saw a big opportunity to improve margin with the 6 which can likely be built at a very similar factory cost. The RT. GS or whatever is in general a better handling, more comfortable machine that is cheaper and simpler to maintain- and is the core of brand history. Perhaps if the first wedges had been an all star design and execution they'd still be around, but they were neither..The early wedges are yet one more example of why its good to wait until year 4 before purchasing a new to the line model and both the 6 and waterboxer seems to be proving it yet again..I can think about replacing my 08 RT in about 2018.....

The creature comforts of a K bike are better than an RT??? Really?
My last RT was a 2004. No heated seat, no cruise control, no computer, no ESA, no brake pad wear indicator. I guess the newer RTs have all of that now. Anyway, sorry you've had all the problems with your '06. Hope you get them sorted out.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sure I can get it in shape with some time and $- whether the result will be fully satisfactory only time will tell. I knew wht I was getting into when I bought it.

Yes, the current RT (actually hexhead onward) had all that stuff as stock or option and its all on mine. But I don't care about any of it. Rarely use a heated seat though the grips get used a lot, cruise control rarely just to shake hands out because on cruise delays reactions and is an automatic safety hazard IMO, ESA is mostly useful for constant swaps between 2 up and solo so rarely gets used (will be Hyperpro on mine eventually), and there is no need for any pad inspection holes, marked pins or whatever when one can so easily see the linings directly. To me the big advantage of the R1200 over the R1150 is weight reduction and power increase/better running with the more advanced engine controls. The cases are a bit better also. The waterboxer RT should be a similar step forward when/if all the reliability stuff gets sorted. The early year model problems are a direct result of failure to build and test enough pre production bikes to find the issues before foisting them off on early adopter enthusiasts. Ever hear of J brand model with as many issues as new BMWs, at least since the days of the first Honda V-4s?? (But I seriously hate J brand assembly methods with poor body panel fits (ask any Goldwing owner), crappy JIS screws into nutted rubber fasteners, failure to even attempt weight reduction except on sport bikes, etc etc, not to mention their general lack of creativity since Sochiro Honda died...

No, they are not that good.....worst BMW I've owned from a reliability perspective

I do love this bike when it is not breaking.

Here is what's been replaced in the 55K miles of ownership:
1. Air box
2. Fuel pump assembly - leaking bung in the fuel bulkhead
3. Ball joints -upper and lower failed
4. Brake line recall
5. Cam chain, sprockets, guides and new tensioner
6. O2 sensor - fouled
7. 2 out 4 stick coils - gone bad had all 4 replaced for good measure
8. Front wheel ABS sensor failure
9. Complete ABS pump failure - this just happened a few weeks ago

Total cost >$5500

On top to that the clutch sucks. I've learned to work around it but my 18 year old R1100RSL has a better box and clutch than the K12GT does.

Great bike when it is running, but a very poor combination of design and material failure will leave a stain on the reputation of this short lived K12/13GT family.

Cheers!

I do love this bike when it is not breaking.

On top to that the clutch sucks. I've learned to work around it but my 18 year old R1100RSL has a better box and clutch than the K12GT does.

Great bike when it is running, but a very poor combination of design and material failure will leave a stain on the reputation of this short lived K12/13GT family.

Cheers!

+1!!

Very disappointed that BMW never went to bat for the many owners of these bikes. I replaced the air box on my K1200S, bought a GT with the air box/stepper motor already done, only to have the '08 replacement fail as well. This will be my last K-bike, possibly my last BMW. My friends are switching to Yamaha, Kawasaki, even Triumph and having none of the issues I/they have had with BMW.

So far, all is well. Bought mine w/ 40k - was a manufacturer's buyback. Apparently, all the 'issues' were resolved when this bike was returned for sale. The clutch does squeal a little bit, not bothered by that. Seems the most likely issue I will face could be the final drive failure; the P.O. did change the fluid twice, according to the maintenance log in the owners manual. It does suffer from the 'hot engine weak start' dilemma; but I'm not overly concerned. I will follow the recommended maintenance schedule, and hope for the best - you gotta pay to play.

Back