• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bringing a 2007 R1200RT-P back to life

Darn, thanks, just ordered one from Amazon, came fully charged.
Right now looks like the tow guy is picking up the bike tomorrow, and I'm hoping to Amtrak up to A&S on Saturday morning to pick up, that's assuming they can get it running and safe in a day. I'm asking them to leave the basic stuff for me to do.

I drove up and saw it yesterday (and dropped off the battery). A&S can't get to it until Tuesday unfortunately.
It looks pretty good (they said it looks better than another auction bike that just came through).
Decals look like they were removed with a screwdriver (!) but otherwise it's pretty straight.
Tires look good, etc. Just gotta be patient...rtp.jpg

Hoping to have it on Friday. Inspection finally happened, it's fine other than some normal maintenance stuff which is to be expected.

Just to close the thread, I've got the bike home and spent most of Sunday doing maintenance type work.
For anyone considering purchasing one of these, I suggest the following:
  • go see the bike if you can pre-purchase
  • contact the local dealer with the VIN and see if they will run a history for you
  • factor in repair costs into your overall purchase. A neglected RT can run you north of $2k in repairs if you can't DIY
  • check accident history with agency, dealer and cyclechek.

Back