• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

One of those weeks

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Ever have one of those weeks when the unusual things change a ride?

I rode with former BIL to lunch Monday on our 1100R...Helen had the seat in the lower position so I felt like I was on my Honda 350...but I digress

Upon coming back and pulling the clutch in to downshift for a turn off the highway, the lever bottomed out:scratch New clutch, cable and such about four years ago so was thinking "Oh Great". Was able to blip throttle and downshift into second for the last mile to house as I was able to turn left off highway with no traffic to stop me.
I got home, rolled her up on a lift and found the adjuster had backed out...luckily NOT falling off costing me some $$...easy fix, but still wondering why after four years it had worked itself loose...oh well...fix and ride on and luckily not when Helen was on it many miles away:whistle

Then yesterday, I ran into Austin to pick up some parts 50 miles away on the GSA. Tires about half life but getting a new set for the rally trip sitting on the shop floor. I had the cases off prepping for the pre-rally service which included my tire kit...you can see where this is going... I usually throw it on the bike I am riding...but didn't for some reason this trip.

Was running 70 down the north/south artery when I see a lot of debris in all the lanes and a few cars along the shoulder with flats already and traffic slowing...yeah, I was next. Felt the wiggle in the rear and chuckled as I slowed remembering where my kit was...Dangit!

Was able to exit and pull into a national chain tire store on what was a seriously flat tire to air up to what I was hoping was a small puncture. Was about three miles from dealer. It was a 1/2 gash just off the centerline. One of the older tire guys had one string plug, but no t-handle:scratch They were not allowed to plug anything and had to operate the air hose for me as well...liability issues of course.

I know the area as it was near my former office and knew there were no auto parts close...none of the customers had anything as well... the look of puzzlement when asking commercial truck drivers if they had a plug kit was equally amusing. I remembered there is a equipment rental place a few blocks away, so off I trekked to borrow the plug kit I knew they had to have. They did, and lent them to me with amazement that I was going to patch a motorcycle tire. Two of the young guys were sportbike riders and knew no one in town would touch it.

I was able to cram the string into the gash and make my way to the dealer with a slow leak. I bought another Stop-N-Go kit to leave on another bike in the future, which also now comes with a compressor, and after installing two plugs with no leak I took the slower route home stopping every ten miles to be sure. All was well and happily pulled into the house...just later that I had planned.

I will trash that tire now...was going to use it up after the rally. I surely hurt the cords and structure enough that it isn't worth an internal patch.
Anyways...the Boy Scout in me popped myself in the head for NOT being prepared this time...it happens!

Now if I can get the dang airhead's carbs adjusted...I'll go for a ride today as well.:dance

At least you got the miles out of it,the last two flats i have had were unrepairable on tires with less than 1000 miles on them.Ed

Any ride that gets home alive is a good one. Besides, better to get all these little "issues" out of the way before you leave for the national.

my my my, I sure do hear ya Steve.
So my F8GS is at the dealer with a fried stator. R11S is down with a broken L header pipe, but the eBay replacement ($50, delivered!) has been sent out to JetHot to get coated, along with the R one to match. I am bikeless for last 2 weeks.
GS parts come in Tuesday. New battery being sent directly to dealer, arrival scheduled for Wed. Call from dealer, just waiting on the battery. UPS says it "on the truck for delivery". Day is getting late, figure I will go to shop and await UPS's arrival, and I head into town to get some groceries. Get to dealer, no sign of battery yet, but parts guys tell me they already had their usual morning UPS delivery. WTF? Hang around, doors close, I leave for home.
Pull in the driveway, and see a battery sized box sitting next to my stoop, with a note on the door.
Battery was sent directly to my house, not the dealer (but of course, UPS tracking does not tell me that!). but too late to get to dealer. Now I wait until to morrow to deliver it to them. And the note says that JetHot needs a sig for them to drop the pipes, so have to be there on Friday afternoon to receive that package.
If I had stayed home, i'd have had 2 bikes back up for today. As is, I have 0 bikes available. Dangit.

might it be a conspiracy?

Oh yeah, the where is my delivery game...maddening at times.When you are not in a hurry, there it is....when you are waiting...you wait.

I stayed off the road today as it's just a zoo already around here...every other vehicle seems to be towing or is an RV.

My recent Jet-Hot came with no issues...good luck.

Back