• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

rear brake squeal

chwood4

I just came back from a quick ride on my 1968 r60/US with 33,000 miles . When applying the rear brake, I would get a metallic squeal from the rear whel. ..only used the front for the ride hoe! Luckily it was a short country road ride. Before I take off the Old European bags to remove the wheel, how can I adjust the brake .I assume it is via the threaded rod on the right side of the wheel.

The rear brake is a simple, easy adjustment. Bike on centerstand, spin the rear tire. Then turn the wing nut CW until you begin to hear the shoe start to drag on the drum. Then back off the nut 1 to 1-1/2 turns. Depending on where you initial adjustment was, this may change the amount of action to engage the brake at the foot lever, so be ready for that.

I just came back from a quick ride on my 1968 r60/US with 33,000 miles . When applying the rear brake, I would get a metallic squeal from the rear whel. ..only used the front for the ride hoe! Luckily it was a short country road ride. Before I take off the Old European bags to remove the wheel, how can I adjust the brake .I assume it is via the threaded rod on the right side of the wheel.

Keep in mind the squeal may be dirt-related. You may need to remove the shoes for cleaning and clean the drum as well. This may or may not resolve the problem. Sometimes you need to replace the brake shoes themselves.

Back