Now I've got two things to fix. First, I think I better pull the starter and do a better job of securing the planetary gear cover and then degrease the plunger. A year ago when I rebuilt the starter, it had a thin coating of lubrication on the plunger which had accumulated dust and was binding, causing the starter to stay engaged a little too long and whine. So naturally, I cleaned it an put a microscopic coating of lube on it. I will note that the plunger looked a bit worn.
Originally Posted by GSAddict
Maybe I should stop fooling around with a ten year old starter and just get a new one ... nah.