Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery charging issue

Battery charging issue

1995 R1100RSL : left the bike on its side stand (had to only way I could get it to fit in the garage) plugged into a Battery Tender using an extension between the tender and the bike. Had a green light on the Tender but when went to start no joy - nothing except a few instrument cluster lights. Moved the bike closer to the outlet, removed the extension between the Tender and the bike with the bike on the center stand. Tender shows a charging light.

Will be on the side stand negate the Battery Tender? I know as a safety feature putting down the side stand turns the bike off. Will the extension between the Tender and the bike reduce the trickle charge to a useless level?

Thanks

Sidestand - centerstand - no difference.

Extension between charger and battery - mabe a little effect but it should still charge - a little slower.

I bet bad battery.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Nice part about the tenders is that they are "smarter" than plain chargers. Not nice part is that they don't load test or tell if there is a weak connection between cells, thus they can give a false fully charged reading.

Yes, what Paul said. Flooded cell batteries are good for 2-3 years at best. AGM up to 5. I don't know about longevity of LiFe or exotics due to lack of personal experience.

Battery Charging Issue

Sorry to be gone for so long ... Left the bike plugged in overnight close to the electrical outlet. The next morning I could hear the fuel pump power up and the starter selinoid chatter but no joy. Will leave it plugged in for a week while I am out of town.
    Will be replacing the battery upon my return. Can anyone point me to a thread on how to replace for a R1100RSL?
    Thanks
    EZ

You might check all the connections for corrosion and tightness before investing in a new battery.
    '08 BMW R1200RT
    '75 Red R75/6
    '08 Suzuki DL650 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
    Looking for Ed Sanders' Truck Stop.

Quote Originally Posted by erickz View Post
    Sorry to be gone for so long ... Left the bike plugged in overnight close to the electrical outlet. The next morning I could hear the fuel pump power up and the starter selinoid chatter but no joy. Will leave it plugged in for a week while I am out of town.
    Will be replacing the battery upon my return. Can anyone point me to a thread on how to replace for a R1100RSL?
    Thanks
    EZ
    Remove left side panel.

Observe end of battery and visible negative connection.

Unclip rubber hold-down strap

Disconnect negative (ground) wire

Slide battery out to the left

Disconnect positive cable (note: this is tricky - a second pair of hands or resting the battery on the cylinder is usually needed to loosen the battery bolt)
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Thanks Paul. Seems simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Flooded cell batteries are good for 2-3 years at best. AGM up to 5.
    If you are only getting 2 to 3 years from a FLA battery, you have problems elsewhere.

And AGM batteries do not last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    If you are only getting 2 to 3 years from a FLA battery, you have problems elsewhere.

And AGM batteries do not last longer.
    I have gotten many more years out of my PC-680's then any other FLA batteries. I do use the proper maintenance charger for them.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Remove left side panel.

Observe end of battery and visible negative connection.

Unclip rubber hold-down strap

Disconnect negative (ground) wire

Slide battery out to the left

Disconnect positive cable (note: this is tricky - a second pair of hands or resting the battery on the cylinder is usually needed to loosen the battery bolt)
    I forgot - the air snorkel is in the way. 1 little bolt at front, and unclip lid at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by PAS View Post
    I have gotten many more years out of my PC-680's then any other FLA batteries. I do use the proper maintenance charger for them.
    Up to 9-10 for me for AGM's, I have them in customers bikes and ATV's as well as my own.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I forgot - the air snorkel is in the way. 1 little bolt at front, and unclip lid at the back.
    The OP says his bike is an R1100RSL. These battery replacement steps sound just like the steps for my RT. Are these steps the same for an RS? Similar enough?
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by PAS View Post
    At double the price of my FLA batteries, an AGM would have to get 18 years in my motorcycles and 32 years in my cars to make them worth it.

[QUOTE=The OP says his bike is an R1100RSL. These battery replacement steps sound just like the steps for my RT. Are these steps the same for an RS? Similar enough?.[/QUOTE]

R1100RS and RSL yes for sure. Not my R1150R for sure.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 09-09-2015 at 01:34 AM.

If I had a 10 year old battery that was still OK electrically I'd remove and replace it anyway for fear the embrittled plastic case would disintegrate.