• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Replacement Shocks R60/5

kentuvman

So, as I'm continue my R60/5 project, the rear shocks seem to be shot - they're at the highest tension setting and are pretty relaxed, for a lack of better words.

Looking at Hagon, Progressive or Bob's BMW has replica type shocks.

Before I pull the trigger on new shocks, wondering if stiffening up the suspension should help a bike like this handle better - right now, a "cushy" ride. I also plan to change fluids up front in forks.
My R65LS with new Progressives handles pretty awesomely - not sure the build of the R60/5 LWB lends itself to "better" cornering, etc.

Insight, wisdom??

IKON's

May I suggest IKONs? I just purchased a pair - recommended by most over the ones that you mentioned. They made a HUGE difference on my '78 R100/7!!

www.ikonsuspensionusa.com

Use third window to look up your shocks by Brand/Model/Year!

I put Hagons on mine about six years ago. Pretty happy with them. I think they offer good value. If you are looking into the front, you might also want to check/replace the rubber bumpers in the the bottom of the sliders. Chances are they have deteriorated.

I put Hagons on mine about six years ago. Pretty happy with them. I think they offer good value. If you are looking into the front, you might also want to check/replace the rubber bumpers in the the bottom of the sliders. Chances are they have deteriorated.

Thanks, Photorider - glad you're happy with the Hagon's - the price point is certainly attractive.

I believe Rubber Bumper is shown below:

What viscosity fork oil are you using on your R60/6?

Last edited:
Thanks, Photorider - glad you're happy with the Hagon's - the price point is certainly attractive. Are the rubber bumpers at the very bottom of the forks or do I ned to remove the gator clamps to inspect?

What viscosity fork oil are you using on your R60/5?
A couple of points;
1) Any new shock is better than a depleted shock. I took off a set of sacked out Hagons on my /7 and put on a set of Progressives. These near new Progressive shocks floated up on IBMWR one day, and the seller said he didn't like 'em. Fair enough,... I think they are great.

2) The rubber bumpers are at the bottom of the fork cups on the very bottom of the sliders. There would have been a stamped, 36mm wrench in the original tool kit. It would be the one with the hexagonal sleeve welded on the other end. The welded end is sized for the swing arm pivots and the big end is for the fork tops and bottoms. That wrench is almost perfectly useless. What you want for the fork bottoms is a 36mm socket with the champher ground off to flat. This is how one comes to own all kinds of odd bits and pieces of tools. When I made my socket, I started with a impact grade deep well from a Menards store and ground down the business end on a bench grinder.

What he said...

I actually have an R60/6 but I don't think the forks are any different (I could be wrong) but she seems happiest with 7.5W.

Go with the BMW heavy duty springs

Hagon or Progressive shocks on the back side are a good choice if your not concerned with the purist look of OEM stuff. I think you can talk to either supplier and get a good rear shock that works for your weight, load and riding style. I put progressive springs in the front of my R 60US and haven't been happy with it since. I put 5w oil in and it is still to stiff. The front end is nearly identical to your /5 front end. Heavy duty springs and 7.5w oil in front and a Hagon "built for you" on the back should make things good again.

Back