• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1990 K75 Dent in Exhaust...is that a problem?

atz840

I'm 2 weeks and 1500 or so miles into a 10 week cross country journey. And as someone fairly new to riding, and especially to flying bricks, I've tried to be hyper-aware of what's going on with the bike (thank god for the forum). Which is why I was dismayed to see this huge dent in my exhaust pipe today:

photo(61).JPG

For some reason the pic is uploading upside down, so the dent is actually on the underside of the exhaust. Did a drunk kick it? Wait, that's not my question. My real question is, is this a problem? The bike has been running just fine, as far as I can tell. I haven't banged it against anything, or side swiped anything - I think I'd remember a bump good enough to do that - so I'm really not sure where this came from. Deal with now or ride on and deal with after the trip? Thanks all...

You can relax. That is the factory clearance notch in the exhaust for the deployment arms for the side and centerstands. While your bike is on the centerstand, retract the side stand. The arm should tuck nicely into that notch.

:dance:dance:dance

Ahh - the forum comes through with peace of mind yet again. Thanks Lee. I'm more relieved than I am embarrassed. If anyone asks about the "dent", I'll say, you should see the other guy's bike.

K75 Dent

Looks to me that the muffler is 120 degrees +- from normal. Heat shield seems to be directly on top and not down where the sidestand retracts. Optical illusion?

Looks to me that the muffler is 120 degrees +- from normal. Heat shield seems to be directly on top and not down where the sidestand retracts. Optical illusion?

he stated in the first post that the pic is upside down. That would make it 180 degs off, not 120.

K75 Dent

The photo I am looking at is not upside down. Note center stand. Muffler may have been loosened and rotated plus or minus to show (dent) recess. Charlie

The photo I am looking at is not upside down. Note center stand. Muffler may have been loosened and rotated plus or minus to show (dent) recess. Charlie

Charlie- note a few things:
1) OP stated that the pic loaded upside down.
2) saddlebag racks are showing below the muffler in original pic.
3) c-stand is showing above the muffler in original pic.
4) with pic rotated, muffler looks to have been rotated 90 cw to show recess.

Back