• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

LED panel lights - '03 K1200RS

RBEmerson

Kein Nasebohrer
At least one, and maybe two, lights have gone out on the gauges for my '03 K1200RS. Since I have to pull the tupperware to replace them, I might as well look into LED's for all 16(!) lamps. The part number is 62142306126 - 12V 3W T10 base. The big question is light output. I can find suitable LED's in a range of outputs (in lumens). Darned if I can find out what the rating is for the BMW bulb. Has anyone switched to LED's recently (I understand older conversions weren't all that reliable)? What brightness did you use and would you go brighter or dimmer?

I have blue LEDs in mine. Put them in years ago. Have no idea of p/n or output. I would go brighter.
Jeff

I have seen examples but nothing about the info you requested

Red ones made it easier on night vision, you just loose the distinction between the red warning areas of gauges and the white areas. I have seen images of the standard white lights giving the dash a nice crisp blue/white glow, although a bit bright. (I typically have my dash lights in cars pretty mid to slightly less than mid brightness).

There were some examples of this I remember on I-BMW with images.

Let me know what you do and show the results. I have several out also around the time/gear indicator area.

NCS

I am pretty sure I saved a link to someone's discussion of this, along with pics, supplier, exact bulb (range of colors) and all. That was on one of the other forums and on my computer at the Inn. I will try to remember to look it up later today and post it if I can find it. It is something I Need to do as well.

Thanks for the replies - this moves me in the right direction. I have red LED's in my VW Vanagon - yep, the red no-go areas in the gauges are hard to find. NTL, I kind know where "too fast" is on the tach and "too hot" is on the temp gauge, so it's not a big loss. I've been going back and forth between blue (v. cool look) and red (matches the paint!). Ah, decisions, decisions...

Their 194 bulb seems to be the contender. Now if I can only nail down how bright they are compared to the incandescent lamps...

Just for reference I looked up my parts list for the exchange on my 85 K100RT. Here's the list and a photo of the results. Sorry I didn't take a "before" picture for reference.

LEDs purchased from: http://www.superbrightleds.com
Indicators: WLED-x-x (194 style) - 9 @ 1.39/ea
Backlights: WLED-x4 (194 style/Green) - 5 @ 2.59/ea
Turn Signals: BA9s-x-x-12 Wide (BA9 style) - 2 @ 1.98/ea

Photo518.jpg

Back