• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2012 R1200GS Rally - Wind Screen Replacement

jgp1854

Need some advice, the OEM, and the OEM taller version windscreens aren't doing the trick for me. I'm experiencing considerable wind noise, and buffeting. I prefer to look over the shield versus through it, I'm 5'10, 31" inseam. Can anyone provide me with a recommendation on a very good quality replacement windshield. Note: I'm not interested in lower protection.

thanks in advance.

73516 Michigan

I had similar issue with my '12 GS. Tried all positions forward and back but still had uncomfortable buffeting at higher speed. (65+ or strong headwinds)
Talked with some other riders and searched around, then decided to put on the Givi 330DT. Worked much better, but not as good as I had hoped. The trick I found was to also install the GSA Winglets. Worked like magic.
Good luck.

Have a look at the Laminar Lip: www.laminarlip.com

I don't know anything about the Lip for your GS but I've had good results with the Lips I had on my ST1300 and FJR. Much better price than a new windscreen, too.

pete

I was in a similar situation with my RT ? enough protection, but buffeting. The Wunderlich Vario windshield attachment worked for me, smoothing out the airflow on the top. I imagine the Laminar Lip does the same, but the Vario is adjustable.

Need some advice, the OEM, and the OEM taller version windscreens aren't doing the trick for me. I'm experiencing considerable wind noise, and buffeting. I prefer to look over the shield versus through it, I'm 5'10, 31" inseam. Can anyone provide me with a recommendation on a very good quality replacement windshield. Note: I'm not interested in lower protection.

thanks in advance.

73516 Michigan

There are lots of factors. Even the type of helmet you wear makes a difference. I had a 2011 GS and had an RT before that. On the GS, I tried the Givi and the full Aeroflow. No matter which windscreen you pick, you'll probably never get dead air like you can on an RT. After the windscreen, there are also things like the SAENG deflectors. It can be an expensive trial and error process. You're best bet is to see if you can trade rides with other GS riders to see what other folks have and if it will work for you.

I have a 2011GS. Just like you, had the same buffeting problem. Changed helmets, tried the Lip, still a lot of buffeting. Went with the Aeroflow Sport wind shield and took care of the problem for me. I am 5-11 and I think ordered a tall. I can't tell you why, but the bike even handled better in a cross wind with the Aeroflow shield. I have no experience with an RT but my guess is it is not as quiet.

2 years ago I did a search and found quite a bit of information on the forum about GS wind shields. This helped steer me in the direction I took.

Good luck to you on your search.

John

A Cee Bailey worked for my 2005 GS. With the seat on the low setting...it's almost too tall. Good wind protection however.

I have a 2007 GS and switched to an Aeroflow last year. A terrific improvement, very quiet and no buffeting. I like the quality of construction and the GSA style cross brace, this helps the windshield hold its shape. I had a Cee Bailey for a few years and that did not work at all. At highway speeds the windshield flexed downward and increased the amount of turbulence in the cockpit.

Back