• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

First tour in five years

cowchip

I have a question for the experts out there in regards to travel tips. I am heading out to Salem for the Rally in a few weeks. This will be my first Rally and first tour in five years. I never thought too much about taking a tire repair kit with me but since I have a small air pump I should probably think about getting a tire puncture kit for motorcycles. I have previously traveled to Colorado and across country without taking anything but feel that my luck might wear out. I am on a new low miles 2011 RT1200RT.
I will be traveling up HWY 1 from Los Angeles starting Sunday, July 14.

My travel blog: motorcycledon.blogspot.com

I carry a sticky rope kit which you can buy at Walmart for $6. I even carry it on day trips along with an electric pump.

0000000047427.jpg

I carry something similar.
The only time in memorable memory (the years I can remember) when I did have a nail and low tire condition according to the tpm, I happened to come to a stop ... directly in front of a tire shop.
So I paid $7 for a worm patch and some air.
And put at least another 1000 miles on the tire before replacing it.
dc

My Last;

Leaving Bloomsburg, PA. Rally, even before getting off the grounds, I picked up a nail:(. Rear tire. I used the above snake, as I always have and got home, no issues. Home was 3500 miles:). I've never had one fail me, after maybe 6 or 7 flats using sticky tire snakes you can buy everywhere. I do not think its recommended, however, to keep the tire in use without at least getting to a bike shop, removing the tire and a good look see for internal damage. I have never done that, but in fairness mention it for safety concerns one may have. The snakes work well:). Other brands probably equally so, as in mushroom plugs and the like, non of which I have experience using. Randy

Btw:)

My Toyota Pickup just got a nail! I plugged it about two weeks ago and no air loss in 500 miles:). Randy

Thanks for suggestions

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I purchased a Dynaplug kit. I hope I never have the chance to try it out.
Made my list and I am ready to pack and head to my first rally.

I use a kit from these folks

http://www.tirerepairkit.com/default.htm

Can't say these are the best since I have never needed to plug a tire yet - but I dealt with these folks last year and found them to be very good to deal with.

I have had the same experience with these folks. It is a nice kit and in a reusable sealed tube. I have had "worms" dry out and become unusable just sitting in a toolbox drawer. That's why I like the sealed tube on this kit. I do take a look at it once or twice a year just to be safe.
Jeff

+1 on the Dynaplug ket

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I purchased a Dynaplug kit. I hope I never have the chance to try it out.
Made my list and I am ready to pack and head to my first rally.

I've used them many times on my truck tires and they hold; I've never had a leak at a plug. One thing I did do was take a old small shaft phillips screw driver and grind it down to a sharp point. I used it to ream out the hole or make the hole more open where the plug will go through. The tool needs to be stronger than the one that come with the kit. Without it , pushing the plug through was almost or very difficult. Put some of the glue that comes with the kit on the shaft when you work it through, that will give you a better seal when you put the plug in. A little 12v pump will come in handy also.

DW

Back