• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil cooler

I changed all the fluds on my new to me 88 r100rt today with no issues. Took it out for a ride after to check for leaks and such. Rode about 10 miles in 80 degree weather. Went to check oil filter housing and cooler lines and noticed the lines were still cool to touch all the way up to cooler. My concern is at what point does the thermostat open or should it of opened and is malfunctioning???

I changed all the fluds on my new to me 88 r100rt today with no issues. Took it out for a ride after to check for leaks and such. Rode about 10 miles in 80 degree weather. Went to check oil filter housing and cooler lines and noticed the lines were still cool to touch all the way up to cooler. My concern is at what point does the thermostat open or should it of opened and is malfunctioning???

I very much doubt that you would have gotten it warm enough to open the thermostat under the conditions you describe (short trip, relatively cool weather) unless you were really riding it aggressively. I retrofitted the BMW oil cooler/thermostat onto my /7, and the thermostat rarely opens on short trips even in the hottest conditions. For my bike, a longer trip (25+ miles) at high speed would be necessary.
:beer

Airhead engine temperature is directly proportional to engine speed and fuel burned. Cooler thermostat opens at high highway speeds. Lots of work to go that fast and push all that air. Forget water cooled car experience--airhead runs cool idling around town ... when you're hardly burning any fuel.

10 miles is barely (if at all) going to give you a fully armed engine, let alone one that requires it's oil cooler to operate.

Back