Thread: Oil cooler

Oil cooler

I changed all the fluds on my new to me 88 r100rt today with no issues. Took it out for a ride after to check for leaks and such. Rode about 10 miles in 80 degree weather. Went to check oil filter housing and cooler lines and noticed the lines were still cool to touch all the way up to cooler. My concern is at what point does the thermostat open or should it of opened and is malfunctioning???

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird1150 View Post
    I changed all the fluds on my new to me 88 r100rt today with no issues. Took it out for a ride after to check for leaks and such. Rode about 10 miles in 80 degree weather. Went to check oil filter housing and cooler lines and noticed the lines were still cool to touch all the way up to cooler. My concern is at what point does the thermostat open or should it of opened and is malfunctioning???
    I very much doubt that you would have gotten it warm enough to open the thermostat under the conditions you describe (short trip, relatively cool weather) unless you were really riding it aggressively. I retrofitted the BMW oil cooler/thermostat onto my /7, and the thermostat rarely opens on short trips even in the hottest conditions. For my bike, a longer trip (25+ miles) at high speed would be necessary.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Airhead engine temperature is directly proportional to engine speed and fuel burned. Cooler thermostat opens at high highway speeds. Lots of work to go that fast and push all that air. Forget water cooled car experience--airhead runs cool idling around town ... when you're hardly burning any fuel.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Nutfarm

Thermostat

The std BMW thermostat opens at about 190 deg F.

10 miles is barely (if at all) going to give you a fully armed engine, let alone one that requires it's oil cooler to operate.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots