• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 R1200GSA innermittent stalling when coasting to a stop.

topwrench

Topwrench
Hey Guys I need your input on a possible issue with my GSA.

Here is what happens:
During a ride when I coast to a stop, I pull in my clutch lever and coast to the stop while down shifting and keeping the clutch in (not letting the clutch out) the bike dies. It's like i hit the kill switch. This doesn't happen every time I ride and it will only happen once or twice when it does happen then go away.

Here is what I have done to isolate the problem:
Connected a GS911 to see if a code is locked, no codes.
During my last throttle sync the throttle body idle actuators were locked out when the sync was checked, no adjustment needed problem still exists.
Using GS911 calibrated throttle body idle actuators, problem still shows up.
Trying to isolate or re-create the issue on the GSA, unable to make the issue manifest itself.
Pulled the idle actuators out to see if there was any issues, none noted.
I have not done any mods or upgrades to the electrical system or motor control.(Fuel strip just replaced last week, 1st time)
I have seen this on my Tach during one of the incidents. (There have been a total of 6 times over the past 2 years) When I pull in the clutch the RPM goes to ZERO does not stop at 1100 like it usually does.
Asked my local dealer if anyone else has experienced this issue. They haven't heard of this issue before.

Here is the stats on my bike:
2009 R1200GSA
32,500 miles
owned the bike since July 2010 9000 miles on it then.
Ride 6000 to 8000 miles a year.
Issue appears in all types of riding, example highway and city and temps.

Any help or experience will be welcomed and I want to thank you ahead of time for your help in this matter.
Scott D

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride my 09 GSA a lot...however the R12S sits sometimes for weeks. It does this same stall at stops until I get a fresh load of fuel. I now add Marine Stabil and/or Techron if I am not riding it a lot...problem seems to be minimal. Modern fuel blends just do not do well sitting from my experience

Have reset all systems with GS911 as well the first few times. Still did it if bike sat.

I ride my 09 GSA a lot...however the R12S sits sometimes for weeks. It does this same stall at stops until I get a fresh load of fuel. I now add Marine Stabil and/or Techron if I am not riding it a lot...problem seems to be minimal. Modern fuel blends just do not do well sitting from my experience

Have reset all systems with GS911 as well the first few times. Still did it if bike sat.

This is a good point. Although not mentioned I think most states are now selling ethanol fuel so my comments will be ethanol-related. Ethanol fuel apparently begins to go bad in approximately 30 to 45 days. I don't personally know how accurate that statement is however. Ethanol is known for accumulating moisture and we do frequently see moisture issues within fuel tanks. There is a product by the name of K100 which is designed to resolve the moisture issue. It can be difficult to determine whether additives actually work or not but I am of the opinion K100 is a legitimate product. YMMV.

Hmmmm......Could be the issue. However, My bike is ridden just about every week with some exceptions.

The issue always shows up after the bike has been ridden for a bit ,never in the beginning of my ride even if she sits for a week or so and only happens once and then goes away.

I usually fill up at the same Chevron station and pump. Non-Ethanol stations in the DFW area far from my location.
Scott D.

Hmmmm......Could be the issue. However, My bike is ridden just about every week with some exceptions.

The issue always shows up after the bike has been ridden for a bit ,never in the beginning of my ride even if she sits for a week or so and only happens once and then goes away.

I usually fill up at the same Chevron station and pump. Non-Ethanol stations in the DFW area far from my location.
Scott D.

No scientific method here but are you going through at least 1 tank of fuel a month? I doubt my suggestion will do much given your comments but I think it's good advice if you're not burning fuel up within a reasonable time span. It's also inexpensive to try. Always a plus given how much repairs can be.

same on mine...starts and rolls out fine, then it starts acting up later in a ride. Hard to find non- ehtanol around here as well in CENTEX:cry

I refuel every two weeks or so. Sometimes once a week depending on my work schedule. I have found a website which gives the location of non-ethanol gas stations for every state so I will give it a try. Nearest station is 52 miles from my location. It's going to be real rough on me riding 52 miles north on highway 377 stopping for coffee in Denton's town square picking up BBQ in pilot point and filling up in Gainsville Texas home of the fried pie.
:violin

However, I am willing to make the sacrifice and calculate my fuel load so I can get a full tank to see if this is the key to my issue. Let you know how it goes.

Scott D.

Adjusted valves with in the last month.
Also used a GS911 to lock out the idle actuators during sync. No adjustments made.
Scott D.

I refuel every two weeks or so. Sometimes once a week depending on my work schedule. I have found a website which gives the location of non-ethanol gas stations for every state so I will give it a try. Nearest station is 52 miles from my location. It's going to be real rough on me riding 52 miles north on highway 377 stopping for coffee in Denton's town square picking up BBQ in pilot point and filling up in Gainsville Texas home of the fried pie.
:violin

However, I am willing to make the sacrifice and calculate my fuel load so I can get a full tank to see if this is the key to my issue. Let you know how it goes.

Scott D.

Gas will not make any difference in your scenario. However, fried pie may put a smile on your face!

Do this;

Isolate the side stand switch and see what happens:). Normally the opposite happens, clutch out and this switch will kill engine if stand is down or the switch gets dirty, but? Never know, this side stand thing is a frequent ugly item! One of the few I know that kills the engine. Easy check, 5 minutes:). Randy

Okay here's an update:
found non-ethanol gas and filled up. 75 miles home from fill up no issues. The evening temps were 75 to 83 degrees.
I really do not believe the issue is the fuel suggestion. Let me clarify why I believe this. This issue rear's it ugly head when the temps are mid-ninety's or higher only happens once then goes away. Because the issue at this moment cannot be duplicated on a regular basis and no codes are flagged, I believe the issue is mechanical or electrical, not a hard fault.

I will look at the kickstand switch then I am going to clean the throttle body butterfly's and idle actuators.

Any other suggestion's would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott D.

Okay here's an update:
found non-ethanol gas and filled up. 75 miles home from fill up no issues. The evening temps were 75 to 83 degrees.
I really do not believe the issue is the fuel suggestion. Let me clarify why I believe this. This issue rear's it ugly head when the temps are mid-ninety's or higher only happens once then goes away. Because the issue at this moment cannot be duplicated on a regular basis and no codes are flagged, I believe the issue is mechanical or electrical, not a hard fault.

I will look at the kickstand switch then I am going to clean the throttle body butterfly's and idle actuators.

Any other suggestion's would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott D.

I think something fuel-related is happening. The fact that it only happens one time and goes away tends to leave electrical issues out of the picture in my I-am-not-a-pro-technician mind.

Why I believe fuel isn't the issue.
1. It only happens once after I have been riding for awhile and goes away. (The same fuel is still in the tank)
2. It usually shows up when the outside temps are in the mid-90's and my bike is good and warm. (Might be heat related)
3. Too the best of my knowledge it doesn't happen twice with the same fuel load.
However I was wrong once before, I think? lol
Scott D.

Why I believe fuel isn't the issue.
1. It only happens once after I have been riding for awhile and goes away. (The same fuel is still in the tank)
2. It usually shows up when the outside temps are in the mid-90's and my bike is good and warm. (Might be heat related)
3. Too the best of my knowledge it doesn't happen twice with the same fuel load.
However I was wrong once before, I think? lol
Scott D.

I don't think the fuel is bad. I think the hot temps are preventing the fuel to flow properly. Hey, I've been wrong thousands of times so there really is no reason to think I'm right here.

Hey Billy
You very well may be right. I pulled the Throttle Bodies tonight and looked inside. They were pretty bad and it looked like a BP oil spill in there. I cleaned them out. however the oetiker clamps gave me a run for my money. Ended up cutting them off. I am gonna replace them with oetiker screw clamps from Aircraft Spruce. until they arrive or I use a temporary substitute will not know how it will turn out. worse thing about this whole ordeal, never got the fried pie!
I guess if this works I owe you a slice of pie!
Scott D.

Hey Billy
You very well may be right. I pulled the Throttle Bodies tonight and looked inside. They were pretty bad and it looked like a BP oil spill in there. I cleaned them out. however the oetiker clamps gave me a run for my money. Ended up cutting them off. I am gonna replace them with oetiker screw clamps from Aircraft Spruce. until they arrive or I use a temporary substitute will not know how it will turn out. worse thing about this whole ordeal, never got the fried pie!
I guess if this works I owe you a slice of pie!
Scott D.

A fair exchange... but only if I'm right of course! :)

Well at the dealer today trying to see if replacement clamps are available. Seems parts are only available on Thursdays. Note to self: find dealer which has parts available other days of the week. ha-ha. Anyway, talking with the another tech about my issue and he suggested that my clutch micro switch may not be working properly. After getting home and checking it out, sure enough not working properly, new one will arrive on Thursday.lol Now waiting for parts to show up before I can get her on the road.
Details to follow.
Scott D.

Well at the dealer today trying to see if replacement clamps are available. Seems parts are only available on Thursdays. Note to self: find dealer which has parts available other days of the week. ha-ha. Anyway, talking with the another tech about my issue and he suggested that my clutch micro switch may not be working properly. After getting home and checking it out, sure enough not working properly, new one will arrive on Thursday.lol Now waiting for parts to show up before I can get her on the road.
Details to follow.
Scott D.

Good news that she'll be running down the road again soon. :thumb

What did you do to check the clutch micro switch?

I'd suggest before trying to put the new clamps on - get the tool to do it. They are quite easy to install/remove and are completely reusable if you buy the tool. Lisle makes one - cost is about $13. http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=161&division=1&category=4

30500, CV BOOT CLAMP PLIERS, For Earless-Type Clamps

30500c_C17CE14DF0C90.jpg

These clamps are used on FWD cars - so there is a good chance your local friendly NAPA dealer has this tool in stock.

th_30500in.jpg

And as far as your problem - you own a GS911. Have you looked at the O2 sensor output graph? If one (or both) have failed, this is not an uncommon symptom (I've replaced both O2 sensors on my '07 R1200R). Unlike cars - failed O2 sensors on bikes set no code.. the only way to know if they're working is to look at the output. If you need a good image of what it should look like - ping me and I'll post one here.

Back