• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New poster with question.

I go back to my experience repairing car tires (admittedly, about 30 years ago) - a plug is usually a good **temporary** fix, long enough to get you to a permanent solution. IMO a patch is a pretty good long term fix for small holes, but highly dependent on good surface prep and the location, so it may not really be long term. Think about the physics - a plug is trying to keep air from leaking around it while the tire continuously flexes; a patch is actually blocking the hole, but the adhesive is subject to continuous flexing; an intact tire is, well, fully intact. Compound that with the high level of dependency your safety puts on two little tires (exponentially higher than a car). Finally: a large part of the cost of a new tire is R&R, which you are also paying for with a patch anyway, QED you are generally better off just getting a new tire as soon as you can.

Does anyone have one of these? I carry a gummy worm type repair kit and a small 12v compressor. But this kit appears to be a step up from the gummy worms. I'
m just looking for an the road type of repair.

I do have one of these kits, bought last year before a 9000 km trip. But, never had to use it.

I believe it was first recommended in a post on this forum and I found it of interest so I ordered one.

A Followup

Decided I was not taking a chance on a tire with a patch.
Bought another Pilot tire and had it replaced this morning. The muffler had to be removed.
The only regret I have is not buying the original Bridgestone tires. Dunlop is another good brand.
Since I already had bought a Pilot for the front last month I didn't want to mix tire brands.
Pilot seems to be more of a Speed Bike tire.
Now to do some riding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 95
Better safe than sorry I guess. But, that said, I have always plugged punctures with complete success. The only flat tire I've had was a brand new Pirelli mounted and balanced by dealer on rear of GT750. Going around a curve it felt like I'd run onto a slick of oil as the back end washed out. Brought it back up straight and rode off the highway into a sandy berm where I discovered the tire was off the rim completely on one side. Dealer error? I don't know I've never had another Pirelli tire.

plugs illeagal in Texas?

I'm glad I haven't been stopped by the Texas State Tire Plug Police, probably known as the TSTPP. My old pickup truck tires are mostly made up of plugs; the plugs are the only things that don't leak on them.

If I had a pretty new mc tire, I would probably plug it and ride on it. I've had good luck on plugs in truck tires over the years and the plugs technology is even better now. I have to say that I have had only one flat on a mc tire in 40 years and that was a blow out at speed on a fairly new tire with no plugs. So, I have no experience with plugging mc tires, none. I do have a kit though that I used to open carry, but will hide it from now on.

But, I would plug it; that's what I would do, though I'm not suggesting that is what you should do. You should do whatever you feel is safest and of course. changing the tire should be the safest thing to do. That way, you won't get busted when you are stopped at a TSTPP check point.

Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

DW

I'm glad I haven't been stopped by the Texas State Tire Plug Police, probably known as the TSTPP. My old pickup truck tires are mostly made up of plugs; the plugs are the only things that don't leak on them.

If I had a pretty new mc tire, I would probably plug it and ride on it. I've had good luck on plugs in truck tires over the years and the plugs technology is even better now. I have to say that I have had only one flat on a mc tire in 40 years and that was a blow out at speed on a fairly new tire with no plugs. So, I have no experience with plugging mc tires, none. I do have a kit though that I used to open carry, but will hide it from now on.

But, I would plug it; that's what I would do, though I'm not suggesting that is what you should do. You should do whatever you feel is safest and of course. changing the tire should be the safest thing to do. That way, you won't get busted when you are stopped at a TSTPP check point.

Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

DW

This is a shameful "plug" for plugs...LOL

Back